Urinary calculy suspected in 7-month old wether. What do I do???

I really hope the vet trip goes well.

I have to say, I'm worried that he was feeling better. Because he would feel better if the bladder ruptured (for a short while).

Hopefully its just that he has managed to move the stone.

Keep us updated - I'm off to bed (its 10.30pm here)

We just got back from the vet. He checked our little guy, felt his bladder (which was empty), and watched him trickle-pee on the entire exam room floor for 10 minutes.
He then said that this is most likely a urinary tract infection, and put him on antibiotics ( I don't look forward to giving him subcutaneous shots once a day for 2 weeks, but I'm REAL glad it does not seem to be UC!). I will still give him ACV in the water, and start feeding him a medicated feed with Ammonium Chloride in it.
Thanks for a the advice and well-wishes! Let's hope this was it:).
15560_noah_b-day_2009_003.jpg

Last edited:
That's great to hear that you were able to get him to a vet. Giving shots is no fun but it does get easier. I hope your guy gets well soon
smile.png

That is good news, BUT - watch him, and if he doesnt show improvement over a couple days, or if he gets WORSE - bring him back to the vet ASAP! And ask him to cut off the urethral process as a precaution.

I'm still worried it might be UC, but see how it goes. Great news that the bladder is empty.

And fantastic news that your vet is willing to have a go at goats! The best thing you can ever have is a good working relationship with your vet.

I lost my sweet baby boy to this 3 days ago.... we caught it to late... so please keep a close eye on him... now my baby girl is heart broken cause her friend is gone

You said you ordered the Ammonium chloride from Hoeggers. When it comes in give him a little ball of it that you make with a few drops of water. I would do this for 3 to 5 days and add some to his feed. The feed that has it in it wont help if he ever gets it really bad as it makes them immune to in . I give this to my wethers once a month and they know what I have when I bring it out. Sometimes I sprinkle it on their feed. but its usually in the bottom of the bowl so that is why they get littl AC balls each month.
I have a 4 yr old wether and he knows the routine andhe is doing great...glad to hear it was just a infection but you need to dose him with the ac as soon as it gets in. It will dissolve any crystals that may be in there. Good luck

Quote:
No, they dont get 'immune' to it - you cant get immunity/resistance towards a mineral/vitamin etc. Antibiotics are a different ball game

You are correct in that topdressing feed with AC usually results in the AC being left in the bottom of the feed pan.

But, providing AC as a loose mineral or lick block I find is the best solution.

Goats are excellent self regulators - it is in their nature when grazing and browsing to select different plants with various mineral and vitamin content to get what they need. The 'right' amount is whatever the goats want. They are self regulators for a reason. Every goat differs slightly in their needs. Dont force them to eat a predetermined amount set by a human, by putting it in their food, or giving them a bolus every month. Let the goats do what they do best and self regulate by either providing mineral blocks or loose minerals.

Ha he peed in the floor. My dog puked in my vets floor

Sorry I digress Im glad your little fella is ok. Hopefully the antibiotics will take care of everything. Cute pic BTW

Back
Top Bottom