Use of humidity packs to regulate incubation humidity?

I never heard of these humidity packs but it would be interesting to see if they work. For me it's hard to keep humidity up for the last few days of incubation. Since I'm creative (& cheap) I tend to use what's already around the house. I dislike using sponges b/c I feel it's expensive to discard several sponges after every hatch & I don't want to bother sanitizing them in order to reuse. That's when I started using feminine napkins &/or tampons. They can be placed in a tall glass of water -like a wick. Very absorbent, easily available, and they're meant to be disposable.

I like the point of view @R2elk brought up.
If one has relentlessly high humidity where they live, I would put the incubator in a small room or closet with a de-humidifier. On the other hand, I would do the same if in an arid environment but with a humidifier.

Personally, I don't even check humidity in the incubator. The way I look at it, a hen can't control ambient humidity. If it is an arid environment or a rainstorm is brewing, the hen can't change that but they still hatch eggs.
Regardless of the species, an egg is supposed to lose about 13% weight (give or take a couple % points) throughout incubation.
Currently, I don't even own a hygrometer. I have a couple gram scales and use those to track weight loss. I find that to be the most accurate way to know what is going on in the egg.

Last edited:
Last edited:
For those who do measure humidity, I found a couple good quality ones for very little money.
https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/zederkoff-hygrometer-square-hygrometers/1488080/
https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/western-caliber-iv-hygrometer-hygrometers/1494993/#p-179360

Since I currently only hatch one species, breed and line, all laid at the same elevation, I see very little difference in egg porosity. Some day I probably will invest in some good hygrometers.
Ole el cheapo ones work perfectly as long as you calibrate them first.

Personally, I don't even check humidity in the incubator. The way I look at it, a hen can't control ambient humidity. If it is an arid environment or a rainstorm is brewing, the hen can't change that but they still hatch eggs.
Regardless of the species, an egg is supposed to lose about 13% weight (give or take a couple % points) throughout incubation.
Currently, I don't even own a hygrometer. I have a couple gram scales and use those to track weight loss.
Don't think hens have gram scales either :lol:

Back
Top Bottom