USED to have grass before chickens-HELP!!

I had a big section of my property that I had subfenced for the chickens when I first started out. It got to the point where I could not go in that area without getting poop on my shoes, I could not allow the dog in there or he would eat the poop. I made them a large, 400 SF run and now I can enjoy them even more without the poop.
Chickens and kids, they need boundaries.

Clover gets horrible little white flowers on it though.
Horrible?? 😱 I love clover flowers! They look like little heads, like a bunch of little kids playing in the grass. They are great for bees, too. I'm not one to insist on a uniform perfect carpet grass though, I like a more natural look and flowers of all kinds are welcome.

My chickens DESTROYED our yard. Literally. No grass left. It's all dirt, mud, and leaves now.
Bless you. I have tiny patches here and there widely scattered. Despite them doing the grass major damage, I wouldn't trade them for the world. They are even more entertaining than my dog or cat and that's saying a lot! Spring is a'comin so you might find some grass left too.

I think you will just have to keep them from roaming on the area your reseeding. Chickens are really hard on the ground
X2. Putting down grass seed that chickens have access to is a waste of money. I speak from experience. Just close off all access.

Chickens are really hard on the ground, though, so in reality putting down more grass won’t do any good because they’ll dig it right back up.

I think you will just have to keep them from roaming on the area your reseeding. Chickens are really hard on the ground
Tell me about it! lol I love them, but they are hell on grass! Wouldn't trade them for the world though. Any suggestions for the type of grass I should use to cut down on them decimating it again?

Back
Top Bottom