USED to have grass before chickens-HELP!!

No way am I walking barefoot in an area chickens have access to. Have you seen what comes out of them? I'd rather get stung by a bee than clean chicken poo from between my toes.
Exactly why I don't want chickens in my yard! :lol: They have their space, we have ours. My kids play in the yard... roll in the grass... we have picnics there... The thought of my yard being mined with chicken poop is horrifying. On the kids' toys... In their sandbox... Eeeeew!

I like the clover flowers too. But not in the grass where I want to walk with bare feet in the summer. Too dangerous to get a bee sting.
It depends. I have clover patches in my yard and little kids who love running around barefoot. Haven't had a problem with bee stings. Bees don't actually want to sting you - they only sting as an absolute last resort, because the sting kills them. So when they see my kids approaching, they just fly away. The kids also know to give the bees space. So we've all been coexisting peacefully.

Now, wasps, on the other hand, will sting you just for the F of it :lol: and they don't suffer whatsoever from the sting. THOSE I definitely would not want in my yard and would not plant anything that attracts them.

It depends. I have clover patches in my yard and little kids who love running around barefoot. Haven't had a problem with bee stings. Bees don't actually want to sting you - they only sting as an absolute last resort, because the sting kills them. So when they see my kids approaching, they just fly away. The kids also know to give the bees space. So we've all been coexisting peacefully.

Now, wasps, on the other hand, will sting you just for the F of it :lol: and they don't suffer whatsoever from the sting. THOSE I definitely would not want in my yard and would not plant anything that attracts them.
Bees I love, but wasps are little jerks.

You could put some field rye with whichever you decide to plant. The rye grows fast and help put a cover crop in for the other seed to grow, rye will grow in cooler weather.
SOme mixes will have rye in it.
There is no picture, but my concern since it is close to the house would be erosion if you get heavy rains
Get something back in the ground and have ground stabilization.
Practice some type of rotational grazing.
Once things get lil thawed and dried out here I need to go fix where the chickens have dug wholes by my house from this last winter from them dusting.

No way am I walking barefoot in an area chickens have access to. Have you seen what comes out of them? I'd rather get stung by a bee than clean chicken poo from between my toes.
The tiny poo of my tiny chickens just disappears into the grass. 😁🍀 Most of it anyway and I can’t recall it ever got between my toes.

Mdh did get a 🐝 sting once in blooming clover ☘️. After a very dry summer only the hardest grasses and moss returned. The clover didn’t return so now we do enjoy our uglier but soft green carpet to the full.

Btw: I do keep the chickens inside most of the day and certainly until they are ready with their morning poo. And I might be lucky that there are more interesting spots to visit then the ‘lawn’ for the chickens to leave their flags 💩 . They don’t like to stroll in an open field for a long time. I do admit, on the terraces the poop is a nuisance. Luckily I have a broom 🧹. Flies and rain help too to clean it all up too.

I chuckled at this. I think what OP was saying is "I sure do miss my grass. But i love my chickens more!" "That sure is an unsightly mud puddle. But i love my chickens more!" And OP repeats that mantra every time they mourn their missing grass and stare at the bare dirt and mud. 😁
I think most of us who love our chickens more than we miss the grass and landscaping nonetheless feel the same as you. U have been given many great ideas to help u address your situation. I have a friend who has 9 chickens. Half of her large backyard is absolutely beautiful. Plants and flowers both potted and planted, beautiful manicured grass, paver stones and walkways give it a professionally landscaped look.
The other half? A welded wire fence divides her yard, & the second half contains 9 chickens and their coop. Nothing green in the chicken yard, just dirt and dust-bathing holes. The contrast is hilarious! My friend loves her chickens And her flowers and lanscaping, and has found a way to enjoy both. Me, i do miss my flowers and landscaping i had before i got chickens. But i love my chickens more! Repeat. Repeat. Repeat!
YOU UNDERSTAND!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! I really didn't think anyone was telling me to get rid of my chickens out of all the replies. You are totally correct in your thinking....do love my chickies and during the summer the grass is fine. It's just when winter hits and everything freezes the grass suffers and disappears. Then the rains hit.....oh my! Like I said earlier, part of it is a drainage problem with my house being on a slope and NOTHING level. Rain barrels are in the works around my gutter, which I think will really help. After I get the new coop up next week and the 10x30 shed I got to cover it the chickies will have a place to be for a while and let the grass grow again. They will have a kiddie pool of DE, dirt, and sand to bathe in too. Yeah, I spoil them. lol Last "treat" they got was a head of lettuce in a wire ball they had a ball with. I also got 5 new little peepers yesterday at TS. 3 Astralorps and 2 Wyandottes...they're so cute! Love my little peepers too. Can't wait to see them grow. :love:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom