Useful Drugs/Medication to ALWAYS have at hand?

But you won't have to worry much about small children as geese are plainly terrifying to them. Geese have "attitude."

I've also heard geese can rival guard dogs.

My ex-girlfriend didn't like Geese (she told me her uncle kept a flock when she was little and recalled a story of chasing a huge pack of them away with a broom ) but for unfortunate reasons she's returned to Australia and so now I can get them; We're on friendlier terms now and might come back in a few months so i'll need to train them to be nice to her too :)

Also, While I have a thread open, rather than posting again for just one simple question:

What type of bulb should I be using in a brooder? Assuming that it will be on 24 hours a day for the first 3 or so weeks of their life I was considering a non-light emmitting heat bulb over either an infrared or any other bulb, but thought i'd check with people who have experience first of all?

I'm just concerned that I don't want to damage their eyes.

Good that you're concerned about 24 hour exposure to light. No, it's unnatural and can be detrimental in many ways. Heat bulbs are dangerous and many of us have tossed them.

Look into this method. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958/

I have been using this method for a number of years now, after participating on that thread. I love it. The chicks love it as it simulates the comfort of a broody, and they thrive. No danger of fire or over or under heating.

Are you going to get two of the same sex or a breeding pair? I'd go with two female pullets for the assurance of even temperaments. But two boys would definitely turn away undesirable humans.

My cabinet consists of:

Antibiotics (baytril and oxytetracycline)
Safeguard
Ivermectin
Dulcolax (for impacted crop)
VetRx
Poultry Drench
Permethrin powder
Permethrin spray
Rooster Booster Vitamins, Electrolytes and Probiotics
Baby cereal (for syringe feeding)
Syringes and needles of different sizes
Aquarium tubing (for syringe feeding)
Corid
Selenium and Vitamin E (for wry neck)

I feel like there's much more, but I just can't think of anything else right now. :)

Good that you're concerned about 24 hour exposure to light.

Look into this method. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958

Are you going to get two of the same sex or a breeding pair? I'd go with two female pullets for the assurance of even temperaments. But two boys would definitely turn away undesirable humans.

That looks like a great idea, I have had a snake in the past and we used a reptile heating mat beneath it's vivarium but I wasn't sure how I would apply it to goslings; I'll take a look in the thread but a cursory look at heat pads suggests that they come with an automatic shut off, which isn't really ideal...maybe someone has a solution?

I'm not particularly fussed what sex I get honestly, ideally a male and female - I'm sure I can ask the breeder for a particular sex when I collect them but didn't think tolouse could be sexed easily, at least not without vent sexing and don't they have to be older for that?

Plain super glue or medical super glue? Never had to use either but just wondering what the ingredients in reg super glue would be like?

Super glue is a great idea for chickens. @azygous is absolutely right. If you can find medical glue (one brand is called dermabond but I'm not sure you can just buy this). But regular super glue works too - some of my tougher human patients have used this on themselves with no ill effects.

Stretch the skin at the ends of the cut to pull it taught to get the skin reapproximated, then glue while you hold. A little goes a long way

Inexpensive heating pads automatically shut off after two hours. You don't want one of those. There are others that offer you a selection to by-pass the shut-off. That would be what you want. They even have pads that will come back on after a power failure. Do you have those where you live? I get them so often, it feels like I'm living in Kandahar.

I don't know about geese, but with chickens, a rooster sure complicates things. He will establish a proprietary role over the hen and may become competitive with you. I am going to assume geese would be even more so. If you ask for two pullets, you'll get plenty of giant eggs, and the girls will adore you instead of falling for some flashy gander.

Back
Top Bottom