Useless rooster

Cwillenburg

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Will roosters normally protect their hens/chicks against cats? We have one cat specifically that can get into our run no matter what we do to keep him out. He only bothers when there are chicks for him to get. Our rooster is pretty but useless. He is an Ayam Cemani and scared of his own shadow. Is there a specific breed that would be a better protector? If he would just ONCE go after the cat, the cat would probably stop. Picture of the a** scouting his prey
20210312_074605.jpg

How is he getting into your run? If he can get into your run other predators can too. You need to beef up security along with a different Roo.
He slips through the top. We have tried everything to keep him out and nothing works. We've changed the type of cover multiple times as well. Our dogs keep all other predators away, the cat is the only thing we've lost chicks to. Is there a breed you recommend?

He slips through the top. We have tried everything to keep him out and nothing works. We've changed the type of cover multiple times as well. Our dogs keep all other predators away, the cat is the only thing we've lost chicks to. Is there a breed you recommend?
I've found leghorn roosters to be decent. Why don't the hens with chicks go after the cat? Or have they and the cat still isn't deterred?

I've found leghorn roosters to be decent. Why don't the hens with chicks go after the cat? Or have they and the cat still isn't deterred?
The hens just run from the cat and if the babies don't keep up :idunno all my momma's have been bantams so far though. My jersey giant hatched some this time, maybe she will be better

The hens just run from the cat and if the babies don't keep up :idunno all my momma's have been bantams so far though. My jersey giant hatched some this time, maybe she will be better
(yeah, sounds like your chickens are just a bunch of well....CHICKENS! They're not the bravest most protective bunch. Bantams do tend to be flightier, though some make great moms. Jersey Giants have a good repuatation as mothers so hopefully she'll teach the cat a lesson! The bantams are also smaller which means they could potentially die from a cat, which also adds to their flightiness. Is the rooster a bantam too?)

(yeah, sounds like your chickens are just a bunch of well....CHICKENS! They're not the bravest most protective bunch. Bantams do tend to be flightier, though some make great moms. Jersey Giants have a good repuatation as mothers so hopefully she'll teach the cat a lesson! The bantams are also smaller which means they could potentially die from a cat, which also adds to their flightiness. Is the rooster a bantam too?)
No, he is an Ayam Cemani. About a yr old now. He is so pretty, i hate to get rid of him

I think good roosters are luck of the draw. My best two have been a Wyandotte and a Black Copper Marans.

But your thread title made me laugh. I had five roosters this year and narrowed it down to two. Humperdinck, a handsome Bielefelder, and Steve, a Polish who was just too stupid to eat. One day a red tailed hawk came down and buzzed my hens while I was out in the yard. Humperdinck sounded one sharp alarm yip and immediately led all of the hens under the henhouse. Steve ran around the yard in circles squawking for about 30 seconds and then dove under the porch. 😂

Guess who's alive and who is soup.

Back
Top Bottom