Useless Roosters...

gracejr

Songster
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
My flock consists of 12 pullets and hens of various breeds, and two roosters. Both are Orpingtons, one is buff from hatchery stock, the other is from English lines. The buff, Spartacus, arrived as a youngster around 8 weeks old or so. Sgt Pepper, the english, arrived right around 16 weeks IIRC. He started crowing when he arrived, crowed occasionally for about a week, and hasn't crowed since. That was in mid-August. Spartacus has never crowed. He is currently at *least* 7 months old. Neither seem to act possessive of any of the gals, don't get upset when I have to corner or pick up one of the girls, etc... I'm not seeing any bare backs on any of the girls, though I'm not sure if that indicates a lack of mating or just that they're nice about it? They both pal around together just as much as they spend time around the females. No shows of dominance from either of them.

What gives? Not that I'm going to complain about a quiet chicken house, but I have roosters so I can hatch out chicks in the spring... The girls aren't laying right now, stopped about a week ago (no light in the coop), so I can't check eggs for fertilization (how would I do that anyway?). How can I be sure the boys are earning their keep?

I have an ee roo i thought he wasnt mating the hens but turns out hes sneaky about it. You can check eggs for bullseye to see fertility

Roosters often know which hen is laying and mates mostly with the ones who are. So if yours hens have stopped, then the roosters may have no incentive to mate them. If that is the case you may have to wait till they start laying again.

One of the hens has finally started laying! Not sure if she was or wasn't laying before, we have several that have similar looking eggs.

I read through some of the egg checking threads, so I'll have to start checking when we dig into the last of the eggs in the fridge.

But why wouldn't they crow? I mean, I don't mind a quiet rooster at all, but it seems so strange that neither of them crow!

And with two roosters and 12hens you should have chicks come springtime. The roosters will come around.. ;)

They better! LOL Spartacus may head to freezer camp anyway. Pepper we got specifically for his traits, but Sparty was an accident. Let the kiddo pick out which pullets he wanted, and he wanted "that big one!" :rolleyes: Everyone likes Sparty though, so we'll see. Maybe I'll have to give in and build a new run for Pepper and his girls, then I don't have to worry about the "wrong" roo breeding with certain hens. lol

Back
Top Bottom