using an existing aviary?

eggsidental farmer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 26, 2009
occidental, ca
hi there everyone! i just joined and don't have my chickens yet, but will as soon as i can get my coop up and running!!
we bought 8 acres in the forest and the guy had a bunch of aviaries where he raised wild birds. here's a picture of the one i want to use as a run:
39976_img_0647.jpg

so what i'm thinking is that i need to attach the coop to the side of the aviary so when they are inside they can just walk right up to it. plus i will have a little door for myself to take eggs. i also plan on fencing in the whole area around the area so they can go out and just graze or whatever chickens do all day...
so what do you all think?
hmm.png

wow you guys are SO nice!! i can't wait to have my chickens!! there's a little chicken farm around here that sells "teenager" chickens (10 weeks old) and i went with my daughter to check them out...i liked the buff orpingtons and the gold laced wyandottes...they told me they were dual purpose, but i don't know if i can eat em after years of petting them...
anyways, back to the aviary: it's 6.5 by 6 feet, which i suppose is big enough for them to hang out when i HAVE to have them inside. (i'm planning on 4 to start). when i can i'm going to let them cruise the forest behind some fencing (how high??)
i have a problem with raccoons so i have to be careful with the construction of the coop as it backs up to the aviary--there can be no gaps. how big should the actual coop be? how many nest boxes do i need?
here's a picture of the area around the aviary:
39976_img_0646.jpg

i thank you guys in advance for answering my questions!!
bloomerz

1-2 nest boxes for 4 hens should be sufficient, i have 17 layers and they have acess to 6 boxes but use only 2! they are funny that way. as far as a coop goes anything from 5X5 up would be suitabel for 4+ birds. If you are free ranging the chickens you might want to think of what kind of predators you have in your area, i cant free range my bantams or they would be eaten by birds of prey (and only selectivly free range my egg layers or eagles try to get them, and succeed a lot of the time).

thanks meg!
i don't think i'll free range them, but set up an area around the aviary/coop and fence it. how high should that fence be? i don't think i have any daytime predators but i'll check--like hawks?
sad.png

bloomerz

Back
Top Bottom