Using an old garage door opener for a chicken door opener.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by moetrout, Mar 9, 2011.

1. moetrout

moetrout Songster

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I search on this topic, but I never really found anyone with a solid plan on how to do this. Also everything the searches came back with seemed to be old.

So I have an old garage door opener that the nylon screw gears disinegrated. I am thinking I could fit it with a pulley and use some rope instead of the chain that was there. I am not sure this unit has adjustable start/stop points. Also my pop door is NOT a guilletine style, it is hinged on the side with a spring loaded door closer on it. Any ideas on how I could do this. If anyone else has done it I would love to hear what you did and if possible maybe even some pics?

2. papschmitty

papschmitty In the Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    I think my husband is planning to try something similar. We have a few more pressing things to build for the coop first since our girls will be feathered out enough for the great outdoors in a couple weeks. I'll ask if he's worked anything out in his head yet and post details if he does.

3. moetrout

moetrout Songster

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    So nobody has done this? I was really hoping I did not have to figure it all out myself. Anybody?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: