mtgirl2

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 27, 2015
So I just had a hawk kill my chicken right in front of me in our backyard. I am still traumatized. I had done many of the things suggested to keep the hawks away, none of which that particular hawk cared a lick about. Then I read about crows and hawks being enemies and then it dawned on me why we hadn't seen the hawks in several months; we had a murder of crows hanging out in our trees. The crows left, the hawks moved back. One thought led to another and I started looking into crow calls to get them back, then I noticed that there are crow call CD's and then happened upon an owl CD and someone had commented that they used this CD playing continuosly to protect their flock of chickens and that it worked like a charm. I did research and it turns out that hawks have very excellent hearing. Could it really be that simple? Any thoughts?

So I just had a hawk kill my chicken right in front of me in our backyard. I am still traumatized. I had done many of the things suggested to keep the hawks away, none of which that particular hawk cared a lick about. Then I read about crows and hawks being enemies and then it dawned on me why we hadn't seen the hawks in several months; we had a murder of crows hanging out in our trees. The crows left, the hawks moved back. One thought led to another and I started looking into crow calls to get them back, then I noticed that there are crow call CD's and then happened upon an owl CD and someone had commented that they used this CD playing continuosly to protect their flock of chickens and that it worked like a charm. I did research and it turns out that hawks have very excellent hearing. Could it really be that simple? Any thoughts?
Sounds entirely possible! Blueberry farms play birds in distress sounds to keep birds off their blueberries. You are on to something I think!

Well I am going to give it a try. I got both the crow CD and the Owl CD and an old fashioned boom box. I hope this works! Fingers crossed! :fl

A couple of times I have been right next to a bird when a hawk came out of nowhere. Once was in our blueberries. One of my Rhode Island White hens followed me and it happened so fast I didn't have time to react. The hawk killed her but didn't take her. Another time I was standing next to a small temporary pen I had some chicks in and again a hawk came out of nowhere and grabbed a chick. It too happened so fast I didn't have time to react and could only watch the hawk fly off with my chick. I don't free range anymore due to losses from predators in the past. For me it was lessons learned the hard way so now the birds all have nice large covered pens with electric wires around the coops and the pens. Good luck...

I came across this.
hawk-vs-owl-blog-image-1.jpg
This what another BYC member did. I don't recall how it worked.
TubeManBYC.jpg

All of these things work until one day they don't .I'm sorry but until you secure them you'll never stop predators from killing them when you lease expect it.I wish you the best.

Thank you all for your replies. I think we are going to add a movable chicken tunnel onto our chicken tractor.

But I did try the boombox and crow CD, as I had already purchased them. (The owl CD has not come yet.) Let me tell you, it was pandemonium in the backyard! First off, it is very loud and incredibly annoying, like fingernails on chalkboard! When I was playing it, all the animals in the yard went nuts. The chickens starting clucking really loud, the cats were running around in confusion scared out of their minds and the cardinals and other wild birds flew up to the screen on the porch and were going berserk! Would this scare off a hawk or attract crows? I don't think I have the wear-with-all to find out!!🤦‍♀️😆 I am hoping the owl CD will be better. 🤷‍♀️

Thank you all for your replies. I think we are going to add a movable chicken tunnel onto our chicken tractor.

But I did try the boombox and crow CD, as I had already purchased them. (The owl CD has not come yet.) Let me tell you, it was pandemonium in the backyard! First off, it is very loud and incredibly annoying, like fingernails on chalkboard! When I was playing it, all the animals in the yard went nuts. The chickens starting clucking really loud, the cats were running around in confusion scared out of their minds and the cardinals and other wild birds flew up to the screen on the porch and were going berserk! Would this scare off a hawk or attract crows? I don't think I have the wear-with-all to find out!!🤦‍♀️😆 I am hoping the owl CD will be better. 🤷‍♀️
If I had to listen to them I guess I wouldn't have any.

All of these things work until one day they don't .I'm sorry but until you secure them you'll never stop predators from killing them when you lease expect it.I wish you the best.
I agree. Lessons learned the hard way. Last night there were a couple of owls talking to each other, one in a tree next to our greenhouse and the other in a tree next to the driveway. A few years ago we had a hurricane hit and we were without power for a week. I have electric wires around my coops and pens. Since we had no power we had no water, no power to run the well pump. I rigged up a gravity waterer and borrowed a generator from my sister but it wasn't big enough to run everything so it had to be timed shared. I filled a 55 gallon container with water for the birds. At night when the predators roam here I put on a battery operated radio on a talk show station in our barn which is behind the coops so there would be voices instead of music. All went well until we got our power back.

Back
Top Bottom