Using light in the Coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by adch.lab1, Sep 7, 2011.

1. adch.lab1

adch.lab1 New Egg

Feb 16, 2010
    What is the optimal number of hours (per day) of light to keep my hens laying all winter. I want to try to keep the egg prodution up this winter using artificial light/heat.
    Thanks,

2. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    14 hours

3. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

14 hours of electricity - wow.

Mine will be getting a rest/vacation from laying each winter [​IMG]

4. adch.lab1

adch.lab1 New Egg

Feb 16, 2010
    Thanks! Does it matter if I supplement the daylight with artificial light in the morning, at might or some of both?

5. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    40 watt bulb, over the feed and water with a reflective
    device was the advice I got for 12 to 13 hours.

6. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    In the morning so that they are not caught off the roost when the light suddenly goes out. I plan to have my light kick on at 5am and off once the sun comes up with a timer. That way they just have the gradual sunset like normal but should give them 12 hours of light.

7. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    12 hrs day. The idea is have them up and feed so they can lay. I found that dusk light does not benefit since they would roost at sunset. The light would be on and they just sat at their roost wondering why the sunset was extra long. Dawn light would get them off the roost and start feeding.

This may be redundant to mention but the light should be turned off when the sun is up, so we are talking about only a few hours each day. I use a 25w bulb because my coop is compact.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  8. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    You don't have to light 14 hours unless your coop is windowless. Just add the additional hours to make 14. Even so, 14 hours with a 40 watt bulb would be 7 cents a day IF your price per killowatt is as high as 13 cents. 30 days of that would be $2.18! Not really much in the scheme of things.

9. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    My girls aren't laying yet. I don't know
    if I'll go with the artificial light. Maybe let
    nature keep it's course. Not raising eggs
    to retire on!

10. crazychics4me

crazychics4me Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    how long do the chickens usually stop laying during the winter if you go with natural light only??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by