Using sand for the first time!

Caits Coop

Songster
7 Years
Feb 23, 2014
Smithsburg, Maryland
I started my 10 chicks and one pea fowl I recently hatched in pine shavings... what a freaking headache!!! It smells even when you change it everyother day.... the Chris are in the feeder tha the watered is cloged with chips wverytime I check on them. So I went out on a limb and bought some play sand yesterday. So far I am living it ... no smell at al and the water era are so much cleaner!!

What is the best way to clean out the sand should I just pour it through a sifter of should I buy a litter box scoop? Thanks!

I have sand in my run, and I use a metal cat box poop scooper to clean. But for a brooder, where the poops are so tiny, I would use a liquid metal strainer, such as you would use in the kitchen to strain pulp out of orange juice.

Don't be surprised or alarmed if your chicks eat the sand, and a lot of it at first. When they reach an equilibrium in their crops, they will quit gobbling it.

But you will be able to go ahead and feed them treats besides their crumbles since they will have the necessary grit for digestion.

I use sand in everything...My brooder, coop, and my run.....It is awesome...No stink..So easy to clean...I have a pail and a kitty litter scoop...Pile the poop behind my coop and use it in the spring under trees, my flower beds and my pots....

Great move....

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom