Using Straw Bales as Wind Break?

Quote:
I do want to keep the water from freezing but I think I'm going to try going through the winter without any supplemental heat. I'm been reading from several posters (in Alaska, for example) who do not provide any supplemental heat. And, my Brother and SIL farm in Michigan's UP and they provide no supplemental heat and everyone does fine.

Besides, have you seen the posts on the open air/open front coops? Wow, now that is ventilation without worry about adding a heat source!

I did read a tip from someone who said to keep two waterers. One is always in the house thawing before being filled to take out to replace the one that has frozen. I think I'll try this and see how it works. If it's a big pain to be lugging it to and from then I'll purchase an electric-heated waterer since I do have electricity in the coop.

Quote:
I do want to keep the water from freezing but I think I'm going to try going through the winter without any supplemental heat. I'm been reading from several posters (in Alaska, for example) who do not provide any supplemental heat. And, my Brother and SIL farm in Michigan's UP and they provide no supplemental heat and everyone does fine.

Besides, have you seen the posts on the open air/open front coops? Wow, now that is ventilation without worry about adding a heat source!

I did read a tip from someone who said to keep two waterers. One is always in the house thawing before being filled to take out to replace the one that has frozen. I think I'll try this and see how it works. If it's a big pain to be lugging it to and from then I'll purchase an electric-heated waterer since I do have electricity in the coop.

The heat bulb really isn't to keep them warm, but it's for my convenience, to keep the water from freezing! LOL Since it's outside in the run, it really doesn't provide much heat at all. The water still freezes a little bit around the edges, but at least it lasts all day. I also keep one water bucket in the garage and one in the coop and exchange them. I use those rubbery black buckets, because then I can step on the side of them and "squish" the block of water out. Makes things real easy.

Speaking of open air coops, what I wonder, is, when people say a draft can kill a chicken, then how in the world do you keep a draft out if it's an open air coop? And what about the predators?

So much to think about! LOL

Maybe I won't hang the heat lamp in there above the water this year........You gave me something to think about.....Especially if you have family in upper Michigan and I know it's very cold there.......

Quote:
The Woods style house featured in a post happening right now has the front covered with hardware cloth--it's open to the air, but not to walk into.

I wondered about the draft thing, too. I read a bit about it and in the book written by Woods he claims that the air only proceeds so far into the coop but isn't blowing directly on the chickens--there isn't an opening in the back so the chickens aren't sitting directly in a cross-wind (I'm paraphrasing, here). There was a chapter in his book about where to situate the coop so I imagine the builder takes predominant wind direction into consideration.

It certainly inspired me to worry much less about my chicken's cold hardiness and appreciation for fresh air!

I thought about bales for windbreak, but figured that the chickens could climb on the if they were inside the run and the bad guys could climb them if they were on the outside of the run. Then I decided that a windbreak did not have to be so close. It seems that 6 feet away would not be so bad.

Quote:
Three cheers for Lake Huron!!
woot.gif

But, that sounds like way too much work--I'm looking for cheap and easy!

It was both cheap and easy......

Quote:
I'm curious as to why you don't want your chickens to climb on the bales. Were you concerned they'd use the bales to get over your run fence? I did put the bales right next to the coop's pop door (away from the fence) since this is where I want to shield an area from blowing snow in order to encourage the hens to go outside in the winter.

I was thinking since my chickens are pretty short, so I could just use one bale for height. Do you think the extra bale would make a big difference?

(thanks for posting this question, I'm taking notes!)

Back
Top Bottom