Using the Nurture Right 360 but with only a few quail eggs

katie_94

Songster
Oct 14, 2021
My coturnix quails are barely laying now so I don't have enough to fill the incubator without risking viability by waiting to have enough. I have a tray that was 3D printed to fit quail eggs which it fits 40 or more I can't remember exactly. I have 10 eggs that are about 6-7 days old now. Does anyone have experience with using the Nurture Right 360 with way less quail eggs? Will there need to be an increase/decrease in temperature and humidity? Is it recommended at all? If not, I'll just eat them lol.

If you use a different incubator but still have input, I'd still like to hear it. It may apply, who knows!

Thank you.

I’ve used it with many and few, no worries. Have calibrated thermometers/hygrometers inside. I don’t foresee any problems. At this point your biggest worry would be whether the males are still viable and mounting the hens, if they do t have light and have slowed laying, the males have probably slowed too.

The ideal incubation temp and humidity is the same whether you hatch 1 or 1000 eggs. Just make sure you have a calibrated thermometer (or 2, or even 3) inside with the eggs and a calibrated hygrometer. Don't trust the incubator's readings.
I understand and noted. Do you have any specific thermometer and hygrometer that you recommend?

I’ve used it with many and few, no worries. Have calibrated thermometers/hygrometers inside. I don’t foresee any problems. At this point your biggest worry would be whether the males are still viable and mounting the hens, if they do t have light and have slowed laying, the males have probably slowed too.
I see! That makes a lot of sense. I'm not around to watch them most of the day but when collecting a single egg yesterday I saw one of the males mount a girl but that won't tell me if she's laying and/or if her egg is fertile. Do males lose fertility after a certain age? They're only about 5 months old.

I suspect that even though we have 4 hens per male (2), only a selected 2 are actually being mated because from my last incubation, only eggs from 2 hens were viable and hatched. I could be wrong?

I see! That makes a lot of sense. I'm not around to watch them most of the day but when collecting a single egg yesterday I saw one of the males mount a girl but that won't tell me if she's laying and/or if her egg is fertile. Do males lose fertility after a certain age? They're only about 5 months old.

I suspect that even though we have 4 hens per male (2), only a selected 2 are actually being mated because from my last incubation, only eggs from 2 hens were viable and hatched. I could be wrong?
I had a male who died earlier this year, he was over a year old and still keeping eggs from 8 hens fertile. Many say after a year, fertility drops. If your cage isn’t lit, the male urges slow, and they may stop making foam.

Calibrate it, and keep them all in the center area to have consistent temps. Nurture Rights suck at keeping even temp, you might want some extra insulation around the outside.

Back
Top Bottom