Using Tylan 50 in eyes

Vickery

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 3, 2013
Carson City, NV
I posted a question about my chicken which has a serious eye infection (pus covered eyeball) on the "Chicken Whisperer" radio talk show this morning elicited the advice that I should give a couple of drops of "tylan 50" into the eye socket...BUT...I don't know exactly what this means...I have the powdered Tylan-50, but I don't know how to mix this...anyone have any additonal advice! I'm desperate...really. My poor gal is becoming handicapped by her blindness and the other girls are beginning to pick on her. PLEASE HELP!

Hi there, I am the one using the Tylan 50 as an eye rinse, it was recommended to me on another chicken-related forum. My Tylan 50 is in liquid form, but I was told to mix 2cc Tylan 50 with 10cc sterile water and flush the eyes using this mix. So far, my girl has had less watery eyes than when I began treatment 3 days ago. Still battling with it, but hopefully she'll make a full recovery.

1cc is the equivalent of 1/5 tsp. So you should be mixing 2/5 tsp with 10cc (mL) sterile water and use to flush her eyes.

I hope that this helps her!

Last edited:
They have the powder, not the liquid, and .2ml mixed with water has 1mg of Tylosin in it, so I'm not sure how one could make the same using powder?

-Kathy

I looked it up and found this:

1cc (mL) liquid = 1/5 tsp powder

My assumption would be that 2/5 tsp of powder combined with 10cc (mL) sterile water should give the proper dosage for an eye rinse.

Last edited:
I looked it up and found this:

1cc (mL) liquid = 1/5 tsp powder

My assumption would be that 2/5 tsp of powder combined with 10cc (mL) sterile water should give the proper dosage for an eye rinse.
If there's 1mg of tylosin in 2/5 tsp that would be true. You would need to look at the dosing info for the powder to figure that out.

-Kathy

Here are the amounts of medicine in 20% amprolium powder:

• One 1/4 teaspoon = 135 mg
  • 1/2 teaspoon = 270 mg
  • 3/4 teaspoon =405 mg
  • 1 teaspoon = 540 mg
  • 1 & 1/4 teaspoons = 675 mg
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons = 810 mg
  • 1 & 3/4 teaspoons = 945 mg
  • 2 teaspoons= 1080 mg

-Kathy

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wow you two! Thanks SO much for all your information. I will do this this morning. Can't hurt as the vet on the Chicken Whisperer didn't seem very sure that ANYTHING would help at this point. My ROR may end up losing her sight in that eye he thought...and unfortunately one of the other hens is now picking on her. Seriously...thank you for your caring. Jane

Vickery, I know how I feel about my sweet Ethel and want nothing more for her to be well. It's a pleasure to help where I can. I'm no expert. I do hope that your girl gets better quickly. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom