USPS dropped the ball

CluckyCharms

Songster
7 Years
Sep 28, 2012
Missouri, but Montana in my dreams
My Coop
My Coop
We have two easter eggers and 1 golden buff that are stuck somewhere - nobody knows where they are. All they can tell me is that they were entered into the system at noon yesterday, and according to the USPS they were still at that same post office at 4:15am *this* morning, only when they contacted them they said "no, there's no live fowl here." But there's no information on their whereabouts and the tracking information isn't updating. The tracking info the actual PO has is up in the air too... they just don't know.

I'm not worried about food/water - they're fine with no food/water. So I don't need to be told "chicks are fine for up to 72 hours without this and that" I already know this.

What concerns me is handling and temperature - the hatchery's heat pack lasts 48 hours and it's already been 30 hours since they were packaged up to come home.

My order is only for 3 chicks and I know others have lost 50 or more because of the USPS - but it doesn't mean I'm less upset because I didn't order a lot. :(

I hope they are tough little girls (all three are pullets).

Last edited:
They don't do a very good job of keeping the tracking info updated. My experience has been that they show them at their original point of departure and update it after they've been delivered.

I hope you got them by now!!

Nope..no chicks. I did call the post offices in town (all of them) and nobody got any live fowl in today. I also called the post office in the two locations in the route prior to our post office and they didn't get any live fowl today either. I'm not hopeful, because the second of the two is a 24 hr wait in and of itself and they received nothing today in the form of live birds. I had to roll my eyes at the guy though because he said "Are you sure you ordered chickens? We got live fish today and nobody claimed 'em" ....dingbat. I think I would know if I ordered live fish rather than chickens.
rant.gif

You know what? Come to think of it - I think that man was yanking my chain on purpose. We actually *have* ordered live fish (and coral and anemones) in the past when we had a reef tank...they *never held them* at the post office, they just deliver those with the regular mail. He should know that working there, so chances are likely he was just being a fart.
sad.png

I hope they show up somewhere, poor things. It's so stressful waiting for info. too. Did they ship Express? Mine came Express Mail from MPC and tracking updated each time they passed through a hub. However I've had dismal tracking results when Priority Mail is used. Hope your little ones arrive ok.

I hope they show up somewhere, poor things. It's so stressful waiting for info. too. Did they ship Express? Mine came Express Mail from MPC and tracking updated each time they passed through a hub. However I've had dismal tracking results when Priority Mail is used. Hope your little ones arrive ok.

Thanks, but I'm not hopeful at all. I called the three postal locations that they'd go through before coming here and *none of them* have any live fowl for this area, or had any yesterday. IT took me until almost 6pm to even get the third location on the phone. One of them was flat-out rude and started talking about live fish being sent to someone (don't know where he was going with that). They did ship Express via MPC but they were guaranteed by the USPS to arrive no later than noon today due to geographical location (it's on the tracking info page).

No chicks
No tracking updates

They sat in the same blinkin post office for 18+ hours when they should have been scanned as departed no later than that same afternoon that they were dropped off (per three USPS employees).

In the famous words of the flight tower traffic controller from the movie "Top Gun".... "I want some butts!!"

Last edited:
I had an order for eggs that i was trying to locate, turns out the seller prints off the shipping labels when the order came in, that put it in tracking system even though the eggs hadn't even been laid yet. Spent two weeks waiting for any other tracking info to gointo the system.

I asked USPS about printed labels. She said it's not possible and those shipping labels printed by the shipper do not record anything as being sent or received, only the USPS can do that. She said she almost wished it were possible because then it could be someone else's fault...but she said it's clearly their fault (the USPS).

When someone purchases a label and prints it off, it will show in the tracking log as:

"Electronic Shipping Info Received" but that's it....doesn't affect the tracking according to the USPS reps I spoke with.

Even if they do show up tomorrow morning and even if they are okay, I'm still going to call the *initial* post office location and find out what the heck happened.

If it were a regular package I wouldn't be that steamed and teed off about it - but like I said, how do you misplace a loudly peeping box that is clearly marked as something being alive in it?

Back
Top Bottom