USPS embargo on live animals (chicks) through Feb 26, 2021!

Pics
Isn't there also that thing where they took away all of the mail sorting machines? Can that be undone or?
I have worked for USPS for 3 years. Almost 4. I don’t understand management brains of how they operate and create more headaches than efficiency. And this is one of them. They took out sorting machine. Not all though. It was also on the timing of our recent voting election.
That was BAD move on management thinking. That CAUSED backlog of letters to be late due to incoming election mails during back then. This is still causing backlog of delayed mail.
TBH majority of the sorting machine used are so outdated that they lost their efficiency and sophistication. It dated machines from the 1990’s. Sheesh these sorting machine I run everyday breakdown! 😤
They have money issues. They don’t know how to cut down expense cost down. It largely paying retired employees pensions and healthcare. This is fault from congress mandated from the 1980’s.

Last edited:
I have worked for USPS for 3 years. Almost 4. I don’t understand management brains of how they operate and create more headaches than efficiency. And this is one of them. They took out sorting machine. It was also on the timing of our recent voting election.
TBH majority of the sorting machine used are so outdated that they lost their efficiency and sophistication. It dated machines from the 1990’s. Sheesh these sorting machine I run everyday breakdown! 😤
They have money issues. They don’t know how to cut down expense cost down. It largely paying retired employees pensions and healthcare. This is fault from congress mandated from the 1980’s.
Oh, so it's a whole web of problems

"THEY" think live animals should take priority. But I would imagine everyone else that has mail "lost in space" would prefer to get their mail! USPS has SUCKED off and on for a few years at the very least as far as how long it takes even "regualr" mail to go from point A to point B. The farther it has to go, the FASTER it gets there. How does THAT work? One month my check would take 1 day from the time it was sent to the day I got it. Other months it would take 7 DAYS and it only had to go less than 150 miles! I've sent things to the east coat and the other side of my state at the same time. The one going to the est coast got there DAYS quicker! Live animals are SAFER staying where they are until this mess is fixed!
The problem here is, though, that they aren't telling other companies they can't ship their product because of the backlog in undelivered packages. The live chicks are a product just like anything else you would order online and ship to your house. It isn't fair to tell hatcheries that they can't ship their product, essentially destroying their small businesses, while every other business that relies on shipping packages is allowed to keep shipping, including two-day shipping packages. The only way this would be fair is if USPS stopped shipping packages entirely from any company until the backlog is cleared.

The issue we have here in middle Tennessee is still weather. I haven't received any of my mail since this past Saturday. 6 days!!! Every business here in our smaller town has been closed including the government buildings. Government meetings have all been cancelled. Even the Walmart is closing at 6pm instead of the usual 11pm and opening late. I'm very glad I got my baby chick shipment 2.5 weeks ago. Now, is it the end of the world if I had to wait until April or something to get a baby chick shipment? No. But I wouldn't want them shipping them now. I probably wouldn't get anything alive. A lot has to do with the individual post office managers in local offices, too. My parents live in a neighboring town 15 minutes away and they have been getting their mail every day. Their city is also unincorporated and somehow they are still getting mail even with the same weather we have. But I happen to know that the post office manager at our town's USPS makes poor decisions. :rolleyes:

The problem here is, though, that they aren't telling other companies they can't ship their product because of the backlog in undelivered packages. The live chicks are a product just like anything else you would order online and ship to your house. It isn't fair to tell hatcheries that they can't ship their product, essentially destroying their small businesses, while every other business that relies on shipping packages is allowed to keep shipping, including two-day shipping packages. The only way this would be fair is if USPS stopped shipping packages entirely from any company until the backlog is cleared.

The issue we have here in middle Tennessee is still weather. I haven't received any of my mail since this past Saturday. 6 days!!! Every business here in our smaller town has been closed including the government buildings. Government meetings have all been cancelled. Even the Walmart is closing at 6pm instead of the usual 11pm and opening late. I'm very glad I got my baby chick shipment 2.5 weeks ago. Now, is it the end of the world if I had to wait until April or something to get a baby chick shipment? No. But I wouldn't want them shipping them now. I probably wouldn't get anything alive. A lot has to do with the individual post office managers in local offices, too. My parents live in a neighboring town 15 minutes away and they have been getting their mail every day. Their city is also unincorporated and somehow they are still getting mail even with the same weather we have. But I happen to know that the post office manager at our town's USPS makes poor decisions. :rolleyes:
Yes, they brung bad decision upon themselves. It more imported to make sure YOU receive junk mail from business telling there a sale going on from
Costco, TJ Max, EVERY single big giant retailers!!! I never seen soo much marketing mail in my years of working here! It annoying!
Management has told me these junk mail are so important for you, they KNOW you are waiting anxiously for them! Flat out what they say from EVERY single supervisors and manager! LOL

I have worked for USPS for 3 years. Almost 4. I don’t understand management brains of how they operate and create more headaches than efficiency. And this is one of them. They took out sorting machine. Not all though. It was also on the timing of our recent voting election.
That was BAD move on management thinking. That CAUSED backlog of letters to be late due to incoming election mails during back then. This is still causing backlog of delayed mail.
My dad just retired from USPS after 41 years. He gets more money now in retirement than he did when he was working. :lol: I mean, part of that is his own investments and stuff. But, yes, there is a good pension. At the same time, he's a veteran and the governement likes to deny him his veteran benefits and refuse to pay for medical treatments for problems related to his service during Korea. SO it balances out. Anyway...I think a lot has to do with individual managers at local USPS offices, too. For instance, we were sent a certified letter containing a large check from a law firm that was from an inheritance. The law firm paid about $6 or so to have it sent certified, which means it is supposed to be hand delivered, a form is supposed to be signed and mailed back to the sender as a receipt that it was hand delivered. My check was put in my mailbox like any other letter. I called the USPS office and asked why my certified letter was not hand delivered and the manager (post master?) told me it was because of COVID, which is crap. I was told by another employee before I spoke with her that each office makes it's own rules about how to handle special deliveries like certified mail. So I know it isn't a USPS mandate. This specific manager just made a terrible decision. I was pretty upset because my very large check was just stuck in my mailbox with not even so much as a knock on the door to let me know. What if it had been stolen? SMH. So, long story short....can't trust them to handle live chickens if they can't handle simple things. Like I said in another post...I haven't received my mail in 6 days because of the snow in Tennessee rn.

My dad just retired from USPS after 41 years. He gets more money now in retirement than he did when he was working. :lol: I mean, part of that is his own investments and stuff. But, yes, there is a good pension. At the same time, he's a veteran and the governement likes to deny him his veteran benefits and refuse to pay for medical treatments for problems related to his service during Korea. SO it balances out. Anyway...I think a lot has to do with individual managers at local USPS offices, too. For instance, we were sent a certified letter containing a large check from a law firm that was from an inheritance. The law firm paid about $6 or so to have it sent certified, which means it is supposed to be hand delivered, a form is supposed to be signed and mailed back to the sender as a receipt that it was hand delivered. My check was put in my mailbox like any other letter. I called the USPS office and asked why my certified letter was not hand delivered and the manager (post master?) told me it was because of COVID, which is crap. I was told by another employee before I spoke with her that each office makes it's own rules about how to handle special deliveries like certified mail. So I know it isn't a USPS mandate. This specific manager just made a terrible decision. I was pretty upset because my very large check was just stuck in my mailbox with not even so much as a knock on the door to let me know. What if it had been stolen? SMH. So, long story short....can't trust them to handle live chickens if they can't handle simple things. Like I said in another post...I haven't received my mail in 6 days because of the snow in Tennessee rn.
Honestly he DESERVE his pension! Working for the USPS is BRUTAL! It not easy to work for them at all! Tough work and exhausting. Most newcomers quit or get fired.

Oh, so it's a whole web of problems
LOL. Yep. The whole problem starts with the fact that they are a government organization that is trying to be run like a private company. They need to crap or get off the pot. Either the government owns, operates and funds USPS entirely, or they privatize it. This half-and-half business makes it really messy.

LOL. Yep. The whole problem starts with the fact that they are a government organization that is trying to be run like a private company. They need to crap or get off the pot. Either the government owns, operates and funds USPS entirely, or they privatize it. This half-and-half business makes it really messy.
I know there was so threat to sell off the post office. I think if USPS were to ever become privatize, they won’t make it in their own sector! It just too disorganized.

Back
Top Bottom