USPS embargo on live animals (chicks) through Feb 26, 2021!

Pics
I have a delayed shipment of chicks. My worst fear is that the hatchery will try to brood and send me a box full of sick mite infested dying chicks 1 or 2 weeks old. If they can do it most will to avoid mass culling and loss of income.

I have a delayed shipment of chicks. My worst fear is that the hatchery will try to brood and send me a box full of sick mite infested dying chicks 1 or 2 weeks old. If they can do it most will to avoid mass culling and loss of income.
If you're in the USA, and they ship through the Post Office, they cannot do that.

The Post Office will only accept chicks that are less than 24 hours old, or chicks over 6 weeks old with a different set of packaging requirements.

I would expect the hatchery to re-schedule your order to a later hatch date, and the chicks that hatch this week will be sold to someone who can pick them up at the hatchery, or else euthanized.

If you're in the USA, and they ship through the Post Office, they cannot do that.

The Post Office will only accept chicks that are less than 24 hours old, or chicks over 6 weeks old with a different set of packaging requirements.

I would expect the hatchery to re-schedule your order to a later hatch date, and the chicks that hatch this week will be sold to someone who can pick them up at the hatchery, or else euthanized.
Reputable hatcheries also take biosecurity extremely seriously, because of the delicate nature of just hatched chicks. I'd be shocked if mites were able to get into a hatchery.

I sure hope so but does USPS really check each box? The hatchery is sticking with the original shipping number sent to me last week. They expect to ship March 1st. I doubt they will do the right thing, which would be to delay others people’s orders to fill mine because of mass culling. Fingers crossed tight. If I get chicks with feathers I will not accept them. Then it will be USPS problem I suppose.

I sure hope so but does USPS really check each box? The hatchery is sticking with the original shipping number sent to me last week. They expect to ship March 1st. I doubt they will do the right thing, which would be to delay others people’s orders to fill mine because of mass culling. Fingers crossed tight. If I get chicks with feathers I will not accept them. Then it will be USPS problem I suppose.

Take a deep breath.
There are severe penalties if the hatchery were to even try to ship outside the accepted age range on chicks.

Chicken people are resourceful. My best guess is chicks hatching during the embargo will be sold to those that can pick them up in person. Perhaps a discount for those getting larger numbers.

Best to call your chosen hatchery and ask politely how they are holding up during all this. Ask if you really want to know what will happen to the chicks hatching that now cannot ship the standard way.

Chick lovers all, the situation is that USPS will not fly live chicks, live anything, for an additional week. This was announced after the hatcheries around the USA set their incubators with chicks to hatch this week. Another chick lover asked what the hatcheries would do with the chicks they may not ship. The answer is obvious.
Is it really obvious?? Because I don't think so. :confused:

My guess is they will be sold cheaper locally, shipped by ground, become plant fertilizer, a cheap pet food source, zoo animal feed, etc.. Or other industrial use hatcheries likely have in place as a back up.. They CAN make ALL kinds of alternative plans since they have a warning.. this is also what often happens during mass flooding that kills livestock like hogs, etc. :sick

I guarantee what I described in the previous paragraph IS what happens to a LOT of less desirable male chicks that hatch and are sexed but considered less worth growing out/salable.. like Leghorn type for example. It's better than going directly into a land fill. :)

Is it really obvious?? Because I don't think so. :confused:

My guess is they will be sold cheaper locally, shipped by ground, become plant fertilizer, a cheap pet food source, zoo animal feed, etc.. Or other industrial use hatcheries likely have in place as a back up.. They CAN make ALL kinds of alternative plans since they have a warning.. this is also what often happens during mass flooding that kills livestock like hogs, etc. :sick

I guarantee what I described in the previous paragraph IS what happens to a LOT of less desirable male chicks that hatch and are sexed but considered less worth growing out/salable.. like Leghorn type for example. It's better than going directly into a land fill. :)
It makes me sad that you're likely right, but I maintain my stance that as long as they're used for SOMETHING (even using them stuffed for exhibits) is better than being tossed in the garbage.

Odds are they may have a firesale locally to just try and make back some profit

A
It makes me sad that you're likely right, but I maintain my stance that as long as they're used for SOMETHING (even using them stuffed for exhibits) is better than being tossed in the garbage.

Odds are they may have a firesale locally to just try and make back some profit
I know that Meyer for one usually gets rid of their unsold males via auctions, so that's probably where at least some of these chicks will end up.

Back
Top Bottom