CluckyCharms

Songster
7 Years
Sep 28, 2012
Missouri, but Montana in my dreams
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,

I'm sure many of you already know this (particularly those who have had chickens a while) but this is good information for those who are new (like me).

I called my post office this afternoon just to let them know that we have baby chicklets being sent out on Monday, and to let them know our phone number in case it was missing from the package. I was quite surprised when I found out the following:

Live fowl arrive at our post office anywhere between 2am and 4am daily. I asked if this was common, them arriving at this hour, and the postal worker said that as far as he knows, it's usually this way for the majority of post offices around the country (we live in the USA). He said they usually call the recipients after 8am when most people are awake. I then asked him if there were actual workers in the post office at 3-4am and he said yes, we have short staff at 2am to 8am. I said "Please call me the moment they arrive then, don't wait until 8am" and he took my name, phone number and address and said he would post it on the bulletin board for incoming fowl and other live shipments, so other workers would see it and contact me immediately, regardless of who is working.

I realize baby chicks don't need anything for quite some time, because they're still absorbing their yolkers. However - I would MUCH rather get out of bed at 3am to get my chicks than to have them sit in a dark box in a post office for many, many hours with no heat lamp.

I just wanted people to know this so you can contact your post office and ask them at least - when live birds are usually received at their location (if you're concerned about them being in a box all alone without heat like I am).

We'll be going to pick them up when they arrive.

Last edited:
I think it varies from one post office to another. I know mine get them at 6 am, and they do call me as soon as they arrive of course I've always given them notice when I'm expecting them. The last bunch I ordered, the supervisor actually drove them to our house for us!

It may depend on when air shipments arrive and if they have to travel to the post offic and where it ise. I know mine flew by air, and our main mailing place is about 3 hrs away????

Hello,

I'm sure many of you already know this (particularly those who have had chickens a while) but this is good information for those who are new (like me).

I called my post office this afternoon just to let them know that we have baby chicklets being sent out on Monday, and to let them know our phone number in case it was missing from the package. I was quite surprised when I found out the following:

Live fowl arrive at our post office anywhere between 2am and 4am daily. I asked if this was common, them arriving at this hour, and the postal worker said that as far as he knows, it's usually this way for the majority of post offices around the country (we live in the USA). He said they usually call the recipients after 8am when most people are awake. I then asked him if there were actual workers in the post office at 3-4am and he said yes, we have short staff at 2am to 8am. I said "Please call me the moment they arrive then, don't wait until 8am" and he took my name, phone number and address and said he would post it on the bulletin board for incoming fowl and other live shipments, so other workers would see it and contact me immediately, regardless of who is working.

I realize baby chicks don't need anything for quite some time, because they're still absorbing their yolkers. However - I would MUCH rather get out of bed at 3am to get my chicks than to have them sit in a dark box in a post office for many, many hours with no heat lamp.

I just wanted people to know this so you can contact your post office and ask them at least - when live birds are usually received at their location (if you're concerned about them being in a box all alone without heat like I am).

We'll be going to pick them up when they arrive.
Is this a hub?

I'm ordering around 15 baby chicks. How long can they go wo a heat lamp? So I know if I have to tell the PO to call me immediately.

My post office is also 6-7am. I just picked mine up last week from them. I'm really glad it wasn't 3am!

Depending on where you order yours from, by mine had a heating thing in the box with them so they were still pretty toasty when I went to pick them out, and I noticed the heating thing stayed pretty warm for another day after that.

Back
Top Bottom