Utah!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Naztrain, Jan 12, 2007.

1. La Casa de Pollo

La Casa de Pollo Overrun With Chickens

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Waiting for baby pictures too! Please! I love that little Lav/marans cross. Cynthia don't you have more hatching soon? Turkens? When?

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Ok, without further ado, here's my chicks:

Named after her auntie, this is Potsy.
    [​IMG]

And this is Fonz. Pretty sure he's a boy.
    [​IMG]

And the two of them together:
    [​IMG]

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG] They are so cute, and I love the name Potsy! How cute is that? Boy, you can see the marans can't you? So cute.

Lisa, I have another lonely baby coming along, I hope. Would you believe, that the showgirls I got for free..nada from one breeder. Not sure what's up with that! And, I got free silkie/showgirl eggs from another breeder..I have one from her that is doing well and goes into lock down tomorrow. Nice thing about it being from her..she does Partridges. I have been wanting a Partridge! So, Silkie or showgirl, as long as it's a Partridge...girl. :)

My turkens, every single one of the first breeder's were viable, only one has quit.
    10 of the other breeder that is here in Utah from a young girl, are viable. Strong little stinks in there swimming around. They are due on the 7th, the first ones. A day later for the young girls'. This was her first time shipping, and she did great. I hope a lot hatch, just so she can see how well she packed. Of course, they didn't have to go far, and got her the day after she sent them. But still, I'm glad most are doing well. 10 out of 13 from her. I will have a lot of them. I have a lot of people that want them. I am surprised. I have heard so many good things about them being great layers, and oh man, you should see the size of those eggs! The first breeder ~ I asked for some from his barred pen, splash pen, and white pen. The gal from here in Utah, has a lot of mixture going on in colors..should be fun. These are cute babies, look like bigger showgirls, Then they grow up. [​IMG] My grand kids will get a kick out of them.

4. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    What makes you think the second one is a boy? Bigger? Ya never know! I have to say, my fav. is the smaller one though. I love baby chicks! Thank you for posting!

5. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Oh Sphinx, they're darling! I love how Potsie's face is striped, heehee! Cute babies.

Cynthia, can't wait to see the pictures of those Turkens when they hatch out. Baby toupees! [​IMG]

I promise I won't be doing this all the time, but here's another video. I've been wanting to record my little Icelandic cockerel, Gunther, when he crows. It's a goofy sound, but I love it.

And in case the video won't show for some, here's the direct link:

6. La Casa de Pollo

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Red, the crowing is adorable! So cute. Gunther is a sweetheart! I love the videos, bring 'em on :) You can see so much more of what is going on with the sound and action.

Sphinx, love the names, of course! haha! Her aunt is so proud. Those pics are so perfect...those are 2 supercute chicks for sure. Who do you guess the mom is of "the Fonz"? He sure is dark and cute, but has different look than a Marans for sure.

Cynthia, you have some FUN babies coming along, can't wait! I have heard the turken eggs are fantastic, hope the hatch goes well.

Sundance, waiting for you to get home and update us on your hatch :)

7. SashaT

SashaT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Northern Utah
    Oh, I'm loving everyone's photos and videos! Sphinx, I like Potsy's stripes on her face, too. Red, i love Gunther's crow. :)

Well, I just had my 2nd interview for the Petsmart job, this time with the general manager. It went really, really well. He asked me to come back in at 3pm on Tuesday and he'll let me know "what's going on". Fingers crossed! [​IMG] Steve (the GM) and I even talked chickens for a couple minutes. [​IMG] He's trying to talk his wife into getting a few.

After laying an egg every day for 8 days in a row, Hedwig has only laid 1 in the last 3. What the heck is up with that? I caught Bullet in the nesting box this morning, so went back after church to check the box. Both she and Liz laid a pretty little egg for me. Good girls! I gave them a menagerie of fruits and veggies for thanks. [​IMG]

8. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Cynthia, what rotten deal with a couple of your batches! I hope your turkens continue to do so well.

Red, love Gunther's crow. That is so funny.

Sasha, that job is in the bag. They wouldn't have you come back again just to tell you that you didn't get the job- bad news is always harder in person, so why would they put themselves through that? It'd be easier to tell you they'd let you know, and then either not call you back, or call and tell you sorry. Congrats!

I think that Fonz is a boy because that chick just seems very aggressive to me. I assumed he'd be a lot bigger- his egg was twice as big as Potsy's. My fav is def Potsy, so I'm really hoping she's a pullet. Actually, it'd be really awesome if they both were. I think I deserve it. I know that Fonz definitely came from one of the wyandottes, he has a rose comb. I haven't caught the BLRW laying, but today I got two light colored eggs, and I've noticed my RIR egg seems a titch darker. So maybe she's been sneaky and skipped past the whole pullet egg stage? I'm thinking the GLW is more likely because I *KNOW* she is laying.

Speaking of laying, I don't think my lavender has laid in almost a week. What's up with that?

9. La Casa de Pollo

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    So funny you guys say that because my White Rock stopped laying, it has been over ten days. Why would they all take a break after they just started? weird. She lays in the nest for the standard hour or so every morning, just as if she is laying, then leaves, with no egg.

Sasha, I agree you have that job coming on a silver platter. Early congrats, I would be shocked if you did not get it at this point!

Sphinx, so your Fonz is a GLW and marans mix.....I wonder if more orange will show up around the neck or just the standard that the marans has. It will be interesting to see! Hard to tell....is he clean legged? He looks like it. I think the mixes are so fun because you never know what you are going to have, both feather and egg wise. I was just wondering if it would be a sex link of sorts but I guess with the red/orangein both breeds that would not work. If you bred a FBCM boy to a red hen would it work at all? Or would it have to be a white hen? or would be be able to make sex links with Marans at all? That would be cool. It seems like all the EE hens that have the Marans Dads are black that is why I wondered....

10. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Interesting that you all are saying you have a chicken or two that is slowing down, just had someone in church say that hers are slowing down.

I got all of my eggs today. Not that many, but they all laid.

I am excited about my next loner baby. I had so many deformities in my last hatches. Then someone reminded me of the x-rays they can go through. A gal that I have made friends with on here is sending me 20 Silkie eggs..she will have paints in there. She wants to see how they will do, first time shipping these from new hens. I'll take them. [​IMG] I have one of her Silkies from a past hatch. Cotton. Very pretty girl!

Hey red..that Exchequer looks close to laying..and I see the EE mix, yours looks bigger than mine. And, is that Icelandic hen from me? Wow, very pretty. Love the new crow. Trying pretty hard there..cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by