Utah!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Naztrain, Jan 12, 2007.

1. La Casa de Pollo

La Casa de Pollo Overrun With Chickens

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Kimmie, i agree lots of "blue eggs" are really greenish blue....I usually put it next to an olive egg, or something olive colored. See in the top pic they don't look that much different....
    green on left, blue on right....
    [​IMG]

But if you put that bad boy next to olive, it looks more blue than green. Then I call it a blue egg. If it looks like more similar to the olive then it is a green egg. See how much more blue it looks here? This one looks pale in the pic, but you can see the more bluish tint...
    [​IMG]

Also I have noticed because the background on BYC is blue, the pics we post look greener than they really are in real life....but you can see the ones that sort of match the site, versus the ones that obviously are not even close (green) :) See how much more the ones on the right look like the site color around it? The ones on the left look totally different.

That is my theory and I stick by it lol! I already cracked that one open this morning or i would have put it in here for comparison it is REALLY blue.....and it did happen to be a double, so I guess they will not be quite that big to start haha!

Mine also change color a bit, one day it will look much bluer, and when i put the eggs from the same chicken next to each other, they really vary. When they are cold in the fridge the seem to look greener too haha (have I overanalyzed this or what haha?) Desperation does crazy things to the mind.....i have wanted blue eggs so bad I have found every way under the sun to convince myself how to make them look more blue. :p :p

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  2. La Casa de Pollo

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Have I said yet Cynthia that I love your babies???? I keep looking at those pics. Love them. Love my showgirl, she is the funnest one I have by far.

How are your polish? One of my black crested has a full head of black and the other has lost all the fuzz and has just a teeny few strands of black, like a little sprout-head. Funny funny things. Will have to get pics up soon. They look pretty silly and so cute, I really think those two are boys though, and I have some girls in the other colors. Will have to scope them out for wattles, can you see any wattles starting on the black crested ones you have?

3. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Sphinx, thank you for texting Donna. Please let us know as soon as you hear from her, if you get a reply?

Cynthia, congrats on all the healthy, speedy hatches! It's a good thing they started hatching after I came to visit you. Otherwise, I'd be sorely tempted to take one or two, and then I'd be in worlds of trouble! No more chickens for me! Not this year, anyway. I took a look around the yard when I brought home that beardless EE and realized I'd lost it. I really have become the crazy chicken lady.

Does anyone know what days they'll have the chickens at the fair? I really want to go, partly to see the chickens.

4. SashaT

SashaT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Northern Utah
    Oh! Lots of pretty eggs and chicks! Congrats to everyone! That is SO fun! Maybe someone will want some bantam eggs to hatch from me in a month or two? Clay has started mating with the girls...thus far we have only witnessed him attempting to mate with Hedwig (remember, she's a LF Ameraucana, he's a bantam Wyandotte) and he mated with Liz, a bantam Cochin, this afternoon. Liz is red, Clay is Crele, I wonder what color the babies will be? Intriguing!
    This morning, Liz wanted NOTHING to do with Clay's advances....Howard got it on video. I love "the stare down". So funny! This afternoon was a different story. LOL

5. La Casa de Pollo

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Sasha that is the funniest video, loved it! She totally pushes him clear back to the fence...Love how he finally "gives up" and walks away. Too cute, she wins :) My son watched that and just belly laughed haha!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  6. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Sasha, too cute, she's a little fiesty one!

Here are some photos of my baby Naked Necks
    [​IMG]
    Group shot ~ my fav is on the left
    [​IMG]
    Now my fav is up front ~ there is my Silkie on the left
    [​IMG]
    My fav..cute!
    [​IMG]
    fav again
    [​IMG]
    Almost twins :))
    [​IMG]
    white Naked Neck baby
    [​IMG]
    twins again..white naked necks
    [​IMG]
    this white naked neck has the least amount of feathering, on
    the front, and the back..
    [​IMG]
    Yep, pretty bare all right, I'm thinking this one should be
    sundances Naked Neck!
    [​IMG]
    I only got one with all of it's feathering. Of course, it had to
    be a splash. I so wanted a splash Naked Neck. Cute though!
    Going to be very pretty.
    [​IMG]
    A blue Naked Neck, it is the same color as my Silkie
    [​IMG]
    My Silkie, dark blue

7. La Casa de Pollo

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Your silkie is totally adorable Cynthia. And I love the fully feathered splash turkens face.....sooooo cute! If I were closer I would snag that one up. If that one goes for sale and anybody comes this way........:D

Is the cute brown one you like " partridge" colored? It is cute! They all look like they are wearing fur helmets, so fun!

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Ha, never thought of it that way, fur helmets!
    No, I don't think the one I like is a partridge, it looks more like the chipmunk color..but more, and a wider dark in the middle.
    Ok, Lisa should so have that splash. It's beak has color in it too. :) I will get another good picture of "her" tomorrow. Looked at the wings.
    Very interesting wings..that bird has Silkie like wings. If you've had a Silkie you would know what I mean. They are curved up at the ends..and when I hold her, she feels softer, so more of the Silkie came out than the Naked Neck. Should be interesting.

9. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Cute chicks, Cynthia. I still don't love turkens, but I think you got a really great batch.

I haven't heard from Corvidae. :(

10. La Casa de Pollo

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Bummer Cynthia Logan beat Spanish Fork at the fb game tonight :) Dang! :plbb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by