Utah!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Naztrain, Jan 12, 2007.

1. La Casa de Pollo

La Casa de Pollo Overrun With Chickens

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    \I have texted her too with no luck....or pm's. Hopefully she is A-ok. Miss her on here! And her giant 'batches of hatches' in that Sportsman lol

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Now wait. Spanish Fork High, or Maple Mountain High..Austin went to Maple Mountain High. I am the oldie, and went to Spanish Fork High. When I went to school Spanish Fork, we were doing great in Football! We took state when I was a Sophmore, and guess who was dating one of the big time quarter backs? Yep, believe it or not..me! It was fun times for sure.

Sphinx, I don't like the looks of the adult turkens either, but these babies are cute. I have read, and heard what great layers they are, and, that they are a mellow sweet bird. I just may have to have one in my flock at all times if this is true. :) Leghorns, Red Sex Link, an EE or Ameraucana, a Naked Neck, heard that Turken is a slang word..people used to say they looked like a mix of a turkey and a chicken..I think they look like vultures..oooooh...anyway, I also would want my Silkies, and a Welsummer, and....a swedish flower..going to hatch me some of those. They are a lot like the Icelandics, and have been reading that they are also prolific layers, great in warm and cold climates, and..they are a colorful bird. How many is that now? Can I add one more? [​IMG]

3. La Casa de Pollo

La Casa de Pollo Overrun With Chickens

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    I see chicken math strikes again !

I like the showgirl a TON, the white with the dark skin. I want to keep one of those forever if I can! The only concern I have is the winter, I read they are not quite as hardy, so hoping my setup will work for her. I do not mind the naked necks at all, but I think I do prefer the show girl look---I get to have a silkie without the broody issues. Love the idea of NN prolific egg laying..so maybe one of each is good haha!

Seems like everytime Cynthia hatches eggs Lisa needs another breed of chicken :lau That could be big trouble considering Miss Cynthia hatches year-round....and always something new! :rolleyes:

The wishlist is just always changing after seeing everybody elses flock, there are just wayyyyy too many flavors aren't there? You guys all have some really neat varieties!

4. MoriahQuilts

MoriahQuilts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    UT
    I like the Hova Genesis, much more well made than the LG or FI. No experience with the others.
    Sundance, so sorry. I hope you guys are enjoying your quail - that sounds fun!
    Congrats!!
    What a pretty egg!
    Congrats on your eggs!
    Congrats!! A BLUE EGG!! Your black Am boy is getting along well - still no crowing - sweet thing [​IMG].

5. sundancenbare

sundancenbare Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Taylorsville Utah
    One of my Araucanas hatched no more pips but I'll be patient. I love your Naked Necks Cindy. Funny thing. Some of my sizzle friends felt so bad that none of my eggs hatched they decided to send me a few eggs. I thought I was done hatching but yesterday in the mail I recieved big boxes of eggs. 55 total sizzles and a few show quality silkies. I told one of my sizzle friends that the white silkie that won best chicken at the fair was the prettiest chicken I have ever seen. She raises show birds so she sent me some silkie eggs with some sizzle eggs. That will teach me to keep my mouth shut or not. It was really sweet of them. I am putting an add on KSL today to thin my flock down. I have some exotic pullets that are laying or will be laying soon. I have a Russiam Orloff, a Mottled Java, a Barnvelder, a Speckled Sussex teenager olive eggers chick Americanas, Let me know if anybody wants any of these. The quail are great. We have some outside with the chicks. We open the door during the day and they free range during the day and go back in the quail coop at night. Works out great.

6. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Sundance, that is so awesome that your friend sent you all those eggs! And SQ Silkies, too. That ought to be fun. I hope they hatch great! The pullets you are rehoming sound like a beautiful mix. Hopefully you can find some good homes for them, and soon. I don't have room in my flock, or I'd take that Orloff. I've always been curious about them. I'd better wait for a while before getting more chickens, though.

Dalooras, are you still interested in the black Ameraucana cockerel? If not, is anyone else interested? I'm going to put him up on KSL soon, if no one here would like him. He's getting big, but I don't like how he thinks he needs to pick on my little Icelandic pullet. I may or may not have punted him yesterday.

I've also got a BR cockerel that needs to be placed in a new home. He's 9-10 weeks old or so, and very sweet and friendly. If anyone here wants him, he's free. Otherwise, he'll go up on KSL, too. I figure the chances of someone getting him to eat him right off the bat are a lot less if I can place him while he's still little.

7. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I'm not at all surprised you got a bunch of eggs from friends, Sundance. You do so much good that Karma simply can't allow you to get the raw end of deal on an egg thing. I'm trying really hard not to buy your barnvelder. Or the Olive Eggers.

CYnthia, you should definitely add another couple to your group.

8. sundancenbare

sundancenbare Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Taylorsville Utah
    I just bought a shed kit to make a 10x10 chicken coop that looks like a barn, I need to get some windows and other stuff, Can anyone give me the address of that store downtown that sells discounted building supplies? Thanks in advance

9. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    1276 South 500 West
    Salt Lake City, Utah 84101

10. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Look what I got in the mail today..speaking of free! More Silkie eggs..when are you setting yours Sundance?
    You need to come and get a couple of NN's.. I am saving that one that has little feathering just for you! I know you like them...
    [​IMG]
    These are from that sweet gal that I got my Cotton from. She had said
    she was going to get some paints..so, BBS, Paints, and Buffs are
    in these. Hope I get better results with these little eggs than the
    last few times!

Shinx, I knew you would understand, and I also had to take a double at that Barnvelder offer..I just had to go outside and look at my growing flock again. Did the trick. Glad I have people wanting NN's and Silkies, and bantams. I have some Swedish Flower eggs coming, and, Bantam Favorelles. Will have all colors in the Favorelles..I had a Salmon LF once, very sweet birds..wonder what the Bantam will be. Then I will have, my Silkies, my Polish, my Cochin, and a Favorelle in that one coop. Guess who is going to expand the bantam coop part for me. [​IMG]

My neighbor had a big hawk out in her back yard today. Weird thing is, she found a dead chicken in her window well last evening. She's had this GLW for a long time..these are her pets for sure. No hawk that I know of though, would go down with a chicken, it would snatch it and fly away. Well, this hawk was going from her roof top, to the neighbors roof top, to the chicken coop roof top! She would yell at it, and would just stay there and stare at her. She called me just as I was going to let my chickens out. I decided not to for a while. She got a bb gun out, actually hit it in the chest, but it didn't bother it at all! On our way back from the P.O. we went by her house, saw the hawk flying away from her house. I pulled up and asked, did you just get it to leave..she was out of breath saying, yes. That's just crazy. She posted a picture of it on the neighbors house corner..I will have to go copy it and put it up here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by