Utah!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Naztrain, Jan 12, 2007.

1. La Casa de Pollo

La Casa de Pollo Overrun With Chickens

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Sundance, when you go to the store with the windows, ask to see the windows out back, that is where all the nice ones are. Lots of new ones, big small all kinds of windows. Not much in the store.

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Here is the hawk, just hanging out, while being yelled at. Did not care that a person, and her two labs were right there, I mean right there. That is the neighbors house.
    [​IMG]

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    We have hawks here all the time. That's part of the reason I'm so insistent on having a cover on my coops.

See, my problem is that I have 18 chickens, including the two I just hatched. The city says my limit is 50. So, my chicken number is extremely modest.

4. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    It kind of looks like a Cooper's hawk, but it's hard to tell in that picture. I can't remember what color Zone-tail hawk's tails are. Either way, hungry bird.

Cynthia, I was reading the other day that someone takes strands of aluminum fence wire and threads some of it along the top parts of their fencing and coop. They said it's not enough to look garish, but it's shiny enough that it scares the hawks away from their chickens.

5. La Casa de Pollo

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Picture time :) Kinda crummy, phone pics--My DD has my camera:)

Group shot--my favorite on the far right, very sweet and mellow
    [​IMG]

The Black crested Whites. Both are non-bearded. First one has huge 'fro: This one ACTS like a boy big time. And is much bigger.
    [​IMG]
    Second one has a sprout 'fro : (kinda sad!) Note the wattles starting to come in. I was sure the "no fro" would end up a girl....but maybe not.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Buff laced: This one is my fave. It is bearded and has a nice fro.
    [​IMG]

The second one, has almost a flat head, not much 'fro: It is bearded too,
    [​IMG]

And lastly the silver laced. I have one bearded, one non-bearded. Both have nice crests
    Bearded:
    [​IMG]

The non bearded
    [​IMG]

A couple bonus shots:
    This one is definitely the ring leader
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  6. Daloorashens

Daloorashens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Idaho
    Just wanting to say hi again real quick... I haven't had a chance to read through posts since I was last on, so SORRY if I missed something!!

Hattie brought me the beautiful pullet from Cynthia, she is a pretty thing, nice personality, too, a little lighter than the pullet I got from Lisa, but the darker feathers on that ones (from Lisa) still look blue to me, so I wonder if this one from Cynthia is just a lighter blue?? We'll see when her adult feathers are in...

Going tomorrow to Michelle's, I really am excited to meet her and see her birds=)

Still waiting for my Marans BSL to lay and my OE pullet to start laying again.. what is up with her?? And my poor molting EE's, good thing it's not cold yet I would need to put sweaters on them!!

Cute chicks Lisa!! Are those the ones from Cynthia??

7. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Wow Lisa, that one really does have a lot of feathers coming in! Your buffs look about the same as mine in the top. I only have a buff and a BCW. Man, there is a lot of color in those wings. It's funny, the black coming in is just smack dab in the middle of her head.
    I'll take picture sometime. Not sure about tomorrow. Getting ready for Sunday..Austin's Farewell. A lot of cookies will be served..kids are bringing some for us, and we ordered some..did I cook any? Nope. Not when you are expecting at least a hundred people to show up, besides our big family. [​IMG] I'll be busy doing house work, and dad will be out in the yard..mowing. Austin picked up apples from the front today, tomorrow, the back. So many this year! And we have shared, someone came and picked a lot from one tree. The chickens love them.

Latest on the hawk. They went out to bury their bird that was found dead yesterday. Was digging the hole, and all of a sudden, that hawk came out of no where, swooped down on them, about a foot above their heads! Now, we believe that this is why that bird has been hanging around so close, it probably killed that chicken yesterday, got scared off, and has been trying to get it back..when it saw them with it, it swooped down on them. That just doesn't seem like what a normal hawk would do..with people. Other animals yes. They are getting to used to us! She called about the bird..they said they couldn't do anything about the bird unless it was hurt. She said, if it hurts one of her kids, then it will be hurt. It swooped over her daughters head, they were right close to each other, but the bird went over her. Unreal.

8. La Casa de Pollo

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah

They sure are :) have fun at Michelle's! Wish I was going too!

Cynthia, so scary about that hawk....the one by us has swooped down on mydog a few times, the only thing that has made him hesitate to chase birds, Scared the daylights out of him, he was howling and bawling like a baby. Hope your meanie goes far far away. Have (fun?!) at Austin's farewell. Fun to see family, not fun saying goodbye to that sweet boy. That is a hard thing to do! Eat lots of cookies to keep you from crying!

The black crested whites make me laugh, only because they are so opposite in every way. Those hats are too funny. The grayness and blackish tips do seem to be subsiding, they seem much more white now than they did....My Delaware was like that. Will be fun to see how they feather in with the adult plumage. Both the BCW are kind of meanish and skittish. The buffs are the most mellow and sweet by far--- and the SL both jump constantly on each other and everybody else, they are the energetic ones. Hope there is a girl in there somewhere. The SL both look like girls to me. One especially....I am pretty sure about her. Might go ahead and give that one a name shortly. :) I love them all, but have to keep the BCW in line haha. They just need more handling I think, have not had as much time with school starting to work with them.

9. sundancenbare

sundancenbare Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Taylorsville Utah
    The barnvelder and Olive eggers are still here I sold quite a few xhixkwna but not them

10. sundancenbare

sundancenbare Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Taylorsville Utah
    Excuse the spelling above the cats are helping me type

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by