Utah!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Naztrain, Jan 12, 2007.

1. La Casa de Pollo

La Casa de Pollo Overrun With Chickens

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Oh yes, and if anyone goes from where Cynthia is to the north, let me know! I believe she has a chicken I need haha! again......

2. La Casa de Pollo

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Oh and Hi Shawn! haha! You have been too scarce...busy guy :D
    Hey! I spotted you lurking but you disappeared :p

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  3. Ithildyn

Ithildyn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2012
    Southwest Utah
    New member here. Nice to find someone from the same neck of the woods, so to speak. [​IMG]

4. UrbanChickensUT

UrbanChickensUT Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2012
    Utah
    Hello fellow Utahns,

I wanted to get some advice. I started with 4 hens (buff orpington, barred rock, golden comet and an easter egger) one month ago. I decided to add two more yesterday. The same breeder that I purchased the original 4 from in Sandy had two that were the same age as the others so I thought it would be perfect. I brought them home and added them to the flock and the original 4 immediately began to peck at the two new blue wyandottes. They were in the same run for about 60 min and I then created a plywood divider so the new birds could be left alone. As the day went on I noticed that one of the new birds had yellow discharge from her nostrils and had raspy breathing. This indicated to me that she has a respiratory disease. Kind of frustrating since I just bought her! I now have the two new birds on 1/2 tsp of duramycin 10 per 1 qt of water. Is it worth keeping the new birds as I heard they are carries of this disease for life? Below is a pic so you can see how they are separated. The new hens are on the left hand end of the run. Any suggestions or advice would be warmly welcomed. Thanks so much!

[​IMG]

5. UrbanChickensUT

UrbanChickensUT Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2012
    Utah
    One more item...should I treat the original 4 as they were exposed to the sick bird?

6. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Welcome, Ithildyn!! We've got a couple of regulars who are from Southern Utah. Glad you joined us! Don't forget to have fun [​IMG]

Ugh, I'm so sorry. You definitely did the right thing in separating them. This might be the paranoid person in me, but I would recommend putting the two Wyandottes in their own little pen that is completely away from the other four. I can't remember for sure if respiratory illnesses stick around forever more in the carriers, but I do know that they're highly contagious. There are some on here who I'm sure can give you a lot better advice than I can. If Speckledhills pops in, hopefully she could give you some advice on this. She's quite knowledgeable.

Edit: Just saw your last post. Yep, I would consider treating the original four girls if they had exposure to the new pair.

7. La Casa de Pollo

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Welcome Ithildyn!

No clue on sick chickens....have been lucky so far. Cynthia12 and sundancenbare seem to have lots of knowledge of medicines and things hopefully they will be on today.

Sundancen--the window is 6 feet tall, and 18 inches wide. Here is a pic. Some of the outside trim that goes under the wood is chipped off, but our other window was like that and it installed just fine. We just made sure we cauled it really good right there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These next two show the corner that the vinyl is chipped off
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Hey, got a question for anyone that has dealt with broodies. Aside from Silkies and Legbars, have you ever heard of other breeds of chicken going broody before they even lay? My Wyandotte sisters have been acting funny. They're hanging out in the bushes and don't much care to be with the rest of the group lately. And, the larger of the two, Stevie, used to be a bit of a bully. She just doesn't seem to care what the other birds are doing now, even when there's a feeding frenzy going on. I checked the bushes for nests, but I hope she's not getting sick [​IMG] The RIR is still laying, but she's laying one egg every two days. I haven't seen anything else from the BSL. No one else looks or acts ready to lay. What is going on? Sigh.......

9. Ithildyn

Ithildyn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2012
    Southwest Utah
    Thanks for all the welcomes already! Wow! [​IMG]

A proper 'hello' to you all, and a bit about me.

I'm a transplant from Central California, and we moved here four years ago. We live in a semi-rural area, and decided to add chickens to the small orchard and vegetable garden we have.

In March, we got six chicks - two Golden Sex Links, two Rhode Island Reds, and two Australorps. They started laying last month, and have been quite the little go getters! We've already had to start giving away eggs. I think we'd like to add to the flock next year, or perhaps the year after - we'll see how it goes! I know my sister has a burning desire for a Silkie, so a few more chickens at least are on the horizon.

Nice to meet all of you!

10. La Casa de Pollo

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Newtochickens, nice Coop/run!

Ithildyn---Now we need pictures! And names of chickens, that is always fun :)

I have one named........Asphalt :oops: I spell it different though, and yes she is black as night, and yes everything is her fault. haha. She is naughty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by