Utah!

Hello fellow Utahns,

I wanted to get some advice. I started with 4 hens (buff orpington, barred rock, golden comet and an easter egger) one month ago. I decided to add two more yesterday. The same breeder that I purchased the original 4 from in Sandy had two that were the same age as the others so I thought it would be perfect. I brought them home and added them to the flock and the original 4 immediately began to peck at the two new blue wyandottes. They were in the same run for about 60 min and I then created a plywood divider so the new birds could be left alone. As the day went on I noticed that one of the new birds had yellow discharge from her nostrils and had raspy breathing. This indicated to me that she has a respiratory disease. Kind of frustrating since I just bought her! I now have the two new birds on 1/2 tsp of duramycin 10 per 1 qt of water. Is it worth keeping the new birds as I heard they are carries of this disease for life? Below is a pic so you can see how they are separated. The new hens are on the left hand end of the run. Any suggestions or advice would be warmly welcomed. Thanks so much!

Did you get them from Sunnybrooke Farms in Sandy? If so I've heard a LOT about her selling sick birds. What is the breeder going to FO with your sick birds? Cull them or put them back out with the rest of the birds? I don't know that I would trust a breeder that I had gotten sick birds from already. Also if it is Sunnybrooke most of her birds are hatchery birds that she puts in large orders for and not birds that are bred by her. Just in case that matters. I wish I had some advice, I haven't dealt with any respiratory illnesses yet so I'm not sure what I would do. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yes, and if anyone goes from where Cynthia is to the north, let me know! I believe she has a chicken I need haha! again......

And it looks girly so far! Going to be beautiful!! Half a dark face,and half light. Very pretty lavender coloring, with that hint of yellow in there like most splashes have.

Had a great day today. Our Austin gave a great talk..(should have seen all of the girls that came!) And, of course we have a large family. I may put some pictures up if anyone is interested. My family is awesome, such great helpers!

I just got an email from the breeder that said to bring the sick bird back and she will trade it for another. Would this be worth it at this point?

You can trade her, but if she has sick chickens, chances are, you won't be getting anything better back into your flock. The new one may have already had it, got well ... then, it's a carrier, forever, and could get sick again.

Now that your birds have been near the sick one, you do need to treat them as well. I LOVE Denagard! Have to get it off the net, so will take a while to get, but they do ship quick. If, you get it pretty quick, maybe your chicks won't be showing any signs yet..that would be great, treat them, and you should be good. You can eat the eggs while treating with Denagard. But you can't with what you are treating them with now..not sure they are laying?
I personally would not keep the sick chicken,,just take it back, but honestly would not bring another one back home. from anywhere for a while. That's me. :))
Good Luck, and look up the comments on Denagard on BYC here. I had a problem a couple of years ago, I keep this stuff here, and give them a preventative treatment in the spring and fall.
Some folks may ask, why treat if the aren't sick...? I just don't want to have to deal with that again..too heart breaking.

Thanks for the info and yes, that is where I bought them from.

I will look for some Denegard. Any ideas on whee to buy it? Also, I read about Sulmet, how will this compare to Denegard? I think I'll take the sick bird back and get Denegard for the rest. Thanks again! I really appreciate it.

Ugh, I'm sorry you have to deal with sick birds, and welcome! I know my BIL/SIL bought some chicks from them and had one die within a couple hours of getting home. The surviving chicks had a respiratory thing that went on for a couple months, but they're all adult, healthy and laying now.

Cynthia, I'm glad the farewell went really well. I hope you're putting your feet up and relaxing today.

Sundance, I really wish I could help you, but dh is out of town this week, and I'll be running around like a crazy woman trying to get the kids everywhere they're supposed to be up here. Then, Friday I leave for girl scout camp!

Welcome to our other newbie in Southern Utah. I'm sorry I can't remember your name just yet, it's late and I'm tired.

You guys are going to hit me, but I ate three legbar eggs in a cobbler tonight.

Question....We went out of town to the State Fair. It was a blast. The problem is my lil sis forgot to come collect eggs. So I had eggs from Saturday and Sunday. We got back Sunday evening. Would the eggs that sat all Saturday and Sunday still be edible? I also have no idea which eggs are Saturdays and which are Sundays.

Question....We went out of town to the State Fair. It was a blast. The problem is my lil sis forgot to come collect eggs. So I had eggs from Saturday and Sunday. We got back Sunday evening. Would the eggs that sat all Saturday and Sunday still be edible? I also have no idea which eggs are Saturdays and which are Sundays.

The eggs will be fine, They can keep with out being refirgirated for several weeks

Did you get them from Sunnybrooke Farms in Sandy? If so I've heard a LOT about her selling sick birds. What is the breeder going to FO with your sick birds? Cull them or put them back out with the rest of the birds? I don't know that I would trust a breeder that I had gotten sick birds from already. Also if it is Sunnybrooke most of her birds are hatchery birds that she puts in large orders for and not birds that are bred by her. Just in case that matters.
I wish I had some advice, I haven't dealt with any respiratory illnesses yet so I'm not sure what I would do.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another point of view. I have dealt with Sunny brook and never had a problem except a couple of pullets turned out to be Roosters, No sick birds. Respirator is common in young birds, I have had an occasional respiratory illness I don't think it was a big deal. It was easily cured and did not come back
I would keep the trade the chick for another one. Christy puts any birds with respiratory into isolation. She does not sell sick birds on purpose.

I just met her this morning and want to say that I agree with the last two comments. I think the stress of moving brought the symptoms on. I agree that she would not sell a sick bird and can see she really cares for her chickens. She gave my money back and will take care of the birds. Also, she immediately isolated the two birds so I was happy to see that. Thanks again and I appreciate all the help.

Back
Top Bottom