Utah!

Well, it sounds like someone is coming over to her place after all tomorrow..to try and get the hawk. It probably won't be back now that the chicken is buried. Hope it is though, so that it can be caught. Neighbors have seen it sitting on fences! It needs to find a better home/area.
They told her that is sounds like it's a cooper hawk. They hang around in the high trees, and around bird feeders, and of course, chickens.

Lisa, my BCW is sweet. My buff is skittish. The one I hatched out is sweet, but skittish. He settles down when I hold him though. The buff usually wriggles the whole time. The BCW settles down while I'm holding it.

I still have another month to have Austin around. I wonder how many cookies I will have eaten by then. :/ No crying yet..but I know I will while he's speaking at church on Sunday. That's ok, I think dad will have some tears too, and.....a few girls.

Sundance, you're cracking me up. I was trying to translate the meaning of 'xwkx' until I saw that you had help writing it
lol.png

Cynthia, that behavior from the hawk actually sounds like it might be nesting. The only time I've ever heard of hawks zooming humans like that was when they were trying to scare the humans away from 'their' territory, like when they have a nest or chicks nearby. I'm probably wrong, but that's what I thought of as soon as you said it was above the neighbors' heads. Hopefully they can get the hawk taken care of in a safe way. As much of a threat as BoP are for chicken owners, I sure appreciate them working as pest control.

Oh, and Cynthia, you never should have told me how you fry eggs. I'm becoming addicted.

Last edited:
Cynthia, good luck with the farewell this weekend. I hope it all goes smoothly.

Sundance, I'm not listening! <LALALALALALALALALALA>

Hi everyone, just a quick note. My parents are arriving tomorrow for a visit for a couple weeks. :) they are trailering 4 of their ATVs so we can go have some fun in the mountains. :) so between that and my new job, I may be scarce for a while. :(
Saw Jill again today on her way through. She stopped to pick up her Cochins she got from Cynthia (I babysat for the week) and she dropped off two beautiful little Mille Fleur bantam Cochins that her sister hatched. :) life is good!
I bought some bags of Sweet PDZ tonight from Cal Ranch. After reading a thread on BYC about poop board converts, I decided to give it a try. Anyone else use this stuff?

Went to the habitat for humanity store today. No small windows they said people are snatching them up for chicken coops. That made us laugh. I bought a piece of nice vinyl flooring for the coop. It looked so nice in Sphinx coop I thought I would try it in mine. Let me know if anyone know where else they sell less Expensive windows. I sold some more chickens today but still have the Russian Orloff and the Barnvelder. Tomorrow we are going to build the floor and level the ground its going to sit on. . its just hard because Ed and I need to move the run and coop that is sitting where the new coop will go and we can't get anyone to help us. Sucks to get old. Only one Auracana egg hatched a pretty blue chick. I have some more home grown chicks due Tuesday. I bred my EE to the Lavender Americana while he was here. The chicks that have hatched previously are really pretty.

Went to the habitat for humanity store today. No small windows they said people are snatching them up for chicken coops. That made us laugh. I bought a piece of nice vinyl flooring for the coop. It looked so nice in Sphinx coop I thought I would try it in mine. Let me know if anyone know where else they sell less Expensive windows. I sold some more chickens today but still have the Russian Orloff and the Barnvelder. Tomorrow we are going to build the floor and level the ground its going to sit on. . its just hard because Ed and I need to move the run and coop that is sitting where the new coop will go and we can't get anyone to help us. Sucks to get old. Only one Auracana egg hatched a pretty blue chick. I have some more home grown chicks due Tuesday. I bred my EE to the Lavender Americana while he was here. The chicks that have hatched previously are really pretty.

When do you guys need help? How big is your coop and whatever else needs to be moved? I'm not Wonder Woman, but I'd be happy to help you guys however I can
smile.png
I've got Mondays, Wednesdays, Fri & Sat that I could come help.

I can't believe no one has taken the Orloff yet. Some people must think it's funny for me to suffer, blah. If I could reduce my flock here so that I had room to take her, I would. The problem is, I don't want to get rid of any of the girls I've got.

So I went to the fair for just a bit tonight. Has anyone else been there yet? I didn't see any chickens
sad.png
Found all the other animals, including the rabbits and a few pigeons, but no chickens.

Red, chickens are being judged on 9/11 at 9am. I think they're all supposed to show up the evening of the 10th, and go home the 12th, if memory serves. I don't remember the exact times. I just remember reading everything and thinking I needed to go on 9/11 if I wanted to see the chickens, and see who won what.

Sundance, I was in the area today. I wish I'd known you needed help; I would've swung by and helped you.

Here is the hawk, just hanging out, while being yelled at. Did not care that a person, and her two labs were right there, I mean right there. That is the neighbors house.
cynthia if the hawk is that close spray it with the garden hose. it is not inhuman and it wont hurt it. i dont have hawk problems but i do have falcon problems and crow problems. it only takes 1 or 2 times and they get the hint cause they really dont like water cause they cant fly if they are soaked. hahaha.

Went to the habitat for humanity store today.  No small windows they said people are snatching them up for chicken coops.  That made us laugh.  I bought a piece of nice vinyl flooring for the coop.  It looked so nice in Sphinx coop I thought I would try it in mine.  Let me know if anyone know where else they sell less Expensive windows.  I sold some more chickens today but still have the Russian Orloff and the Barnvelder.  Tomorrow we are going to build the floor and level the ground its going to sit on. .  its just hard because Ed and I need to move the run and coop that is sitting where the new coop will go and we can't get anyone to help us.  Sucks to get old.  Only one Auracana egg hatched a pretty blue chick.  I have some more home grown chicks due Tuesday.  I bred my EE to the Lavender Americana while he was here.  The chicks that have hatched previously are really pretty. 

Sundance, we have a window for free to anyone who wants it...it is narrow and fits between the supports but it is tall, and did not fit in our playhouse. Ours was a 10 by 10 but it is shorter, square, not the barn style. If you are interested let me know, I can post a pic of it and measurements. It is white vinyl, looked new but dusty. You get first dibs if you want it. If you do not, anyone else is welcome to it. It opens from the bottom to the top, I am guessing it was about 22-24 inches wide and 5 feet tall maybe? Will go measure tomorrow, we really need to find a home for it.

There are windows on KSL alot too......

Sasha have fun four wheeling! Cynthia good luck at Austin's farewell! Eat lots of cookies!
Sphinx, Red, everybody else, have a great Sunday! I will be digging holes: 27 to be exact. Lots of bushes and trees to plant.:/

Back
Top Bottom