Utah!

Here's Chico (Hollywood Chico Lena) playing with his ball, last summer
lol.png

Here he is last summer before I bathed and groomed him
roll.png
. This pasture was planted this spring and now is gorgeous and green!!
big_smile.png

Here's my Chico doing what he does (did) best!!
yesss.gif

Sorry... the pic turned!! Here's my boy again. Guess his showing days are over.... sad!!
hit.gif

Goal: to get babies on the ground. Have to shoot for year 2015 babies now.

Guess I'll have more time for chickens...lol
lau.gif

Last edited:
barnie.gif
Hi everyone!!

Had a really bad day
sad.png
First, I found the legbar eggs had all 'passed' several days ago
hit.gif

Then, while working on chicken runs I decided to put one mare, who tries to kill herself when tied up, in with my stud, since she had started in estrus and hadn't been with him yet. They were getting along surprisingly well
wink.png
, when he kicked out and caught his foot in a heavy steel bull panel
ep.gif
, then freaked and wedged it even further, forcing a piece of reebar up between the back of his pastern pad and along the length of the entire foot, gouging his foot open
hit.gif
. As DH and I were frantically trying to hold him still, as by now he had raised his leg, pulling the supporting T-post from the ground and unhooking the tremendously heavy steel bull panels, blood was gushing from the cut
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

I yelled for DH to get a hacksaw to cut him loose but neither of us was thinking clearly, and couldn't think where it was... I saw the neighbor was home and told DH to go get him to torch through the steel. They both came running over with a hacksaw and went to work. While cutting the steel away, DH sliced through his finger, to the bone.

Now two bloody injuries
th.gif
!!! The neighbor went running to get his wife as he knew we both were going to need moral support, if not physical help, if the horse went down and brought the heavy steel down on any of us. Meanwhile DH had to run to the house to wrap the cut, as he couldn't see through the blood to cut more steel, leaving me holding the horse
ep.gif

They all returned in what seemed to be a thousand years
old.gif
....while they were gone all I could do is calm Chico and watch the blood flow heavily from the foot
hit.gif
. They finished cutting the steel and Chico withdrew his foot. He tried to put weight on it but held it back up quickly. Then, and only then did we all think to call a vet. Of course, like everything else around here... they are few and far away... I put a pressure compound pack on Chico's foot, we loaded him up and off we went to the vet. When we arrived, the bleeding had stopped
hmm.png
, luckily.

GOOD NEWS : the vet inspected him, shaved and cleaned the area, cut away the shredded flesh and stated he hadn't cut any tendons, ligaments or major arteries, nor were any bones broken however all the nerves and soft tissue had been crushed and ripped, and would need a long time to heal
sad.png
. He will now need the dressings changed every other day for the next few months, until healed. The vet claimed that since it's in a horrible place, that it will break open while healing for weeks on end, and that he should be kept quiet and calm.... no pacing, no running, no more mare breeding this year. BAD NEWS: breeding just started!!
he.gif

DH wouldn't go to the clinic (or hospital), of course!!
rant.gif
. I just wrapped the cut with a pressure wrap to keep the flesh together until it starts healing. He has strict instructions from Dr Me.... not to get it wet!!! He won't listen
somad.gif

Ugh!! So hoping the power outages have stopped... just wish the high winds would quit too... so worried about the eggs in the inc!!!
hu.gif

Give me a call if you need some advice on healing up that wound as quickly as possible. So sorry he got hurt. Like you need more to do! If you need your mares bred our boy is available. He will pasture or hand breed and is similar to Chico.

Desert so sorry to hear about your Chico and your DH! What a nightmare! Hope they both have a fast recovery :hugs

Another one of my Wheaten chicks is looking like a blue wheaten boy. Anybody want him? He did not color in as fast as the other two. But It is almost all blue now, red, wide comb. The final chick looks like a girl for sure, so I was glad I got one! Eek.

Silly, glad you are liking that NN!

Madchicken, good luck on those eggs! I have never heard of those, will have to look them up.

barnie.gif
Hi everyone!!

Had a really bad day
sad.png
First, I found the legbar eggs had all 'passed' several days ago
hit.gif

Then, while working on chicken runs I decided to put one mare, who tries to kill herself when tied up, in with my stud, since she had started in estrus and hadn't been with him yet. They were getting along surprisingly well
wink.png
, when he kicked out and caught his foot in a heavy steel bull panel
ep.gif
, then freaked and wedged it even further, forcing a piece of reebar up between the back of his pastern pad and along the length of the entire foot, gouging his foot open
hit.gif
. As DH and I were frantically trying to hold him still, as by now he had raised his leg, pulling the supporting T-post from the ground and unhooking the tremendously heavy steel bull panels, blood was gushing from the cut
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

I yelled for DH to get a hacksaw to cut him loose but neither of us was thinking clearly, and couldn't think where it was... I saw the neighbor was home and told DH to go get him to torch through the steel. They both came running over with a hacksaw and went to work. While cutting the steel away, DH sliced through his finger, to the bone.

Now two bloody injuries
th.gif
!!! The neighbor went running to get his wife as he knew we both were going to need moral support, if not physical help, if the horse went down and brought the heavy steel down on any of us. Meanwhile DH had to run to the house to wrap the cut, as he couldn't see through the blood to cut more steel, leaving me holding the horse
ep.gif

They all returned in what seemed to be a thousand years
old.gif
....while they were gone all I could do is calm Chico and watch the blood flow heavily from the foot
hit.gif
. They finished cutting the steel and Chico withdrew his foot. He tried to put weight on it but held it back up quickly. Then, and only then did we all think to call a vet. Of course, like everything else around here... they are few and far away... I put a pressure compound pack on Chico's foot, we loaded him up and off we went to the vet. When we arrived, the bleeding had stopped
hmm.png
, luckily.

GOOD NEWS : the vet inspected him, shaved and cleaned the area, cut away the shredded flesh and stated he hadn't cut any tendons, ligaments or major arteries, nor were any bones broken however all the nerves and soft tissue had been crushed and ripped, and would need a long time to heal
sad.png
. He will now need the dressings changed every other day for the next few months, until healed. The vet claimed that since it's in a horrible place, that it will break open while healing for weeks on end, and that he should be kept quiet and calm.... no pacing, no running, no more mare breeding this year. BAD NEWS: breeding just started!!
he.gif

DH wouldn't go to the clinic (or hospital), of course!!
rant.gif
. I just wrapped the cut with a pressure wrap to keep the flesh together until it starts healing. He has strict instructions from Dr Me.... not to get it wet!!! He won't listen
somad.gif

Ugh!! So hoping the power outages have stopped... just wish the high winds would quit too... so worried about the eggs in the inc!!!
hu.gif
Do you object to AI for the horses? You could breed him that way and save the stitches.

Oh Desert... so sorry about your stud muffin boy... that is soo frustrating, at least he didn't break anything and there is hope of it healing well...

It has been just crazy here since school got out, I haven't had time for anything else... the laundry is piling up, too, sheesh!!

So I had to skip to the end, sorry I know I missed all kinds of interesting conversation...

Had the last of the chicks for the summer hatch yesterday, YAY!!! I will turn the bator back on in the fall, by then the legbars should be laying (I hope!)

Do you object to AI for the horses? You could breed him that way and save the stitches.
I don't object however Chico is a 'new' stud, and hasn't quite figured out the basics. He still spends WAY too much time swirling the mare's tail around his nose, and 'talking' to them. I know he wouldn't mount a dummy, and the vet is convinced he would be ruined for natural breeding in the future, if electroejaculation is used. Even if he would, the vet mentioned that mounting a dummy was even too dangerous for the health of his foot, plus he's unable to put weight on it.

So this year is lost... plus, he'll never set foot in an arena again, due to the nerve damage and possibility of him hurting himself in a slide, during reining competition.

Just so glad he's alive
smile.png
!!!

Oh Desert... so sorry about your stud muffin boy... that is soo frustrating, at least he didn't break anything and there is hope of it healing well... It has been just crazy here since school got out, I haven't had time for anything else... the laundry is piling up, too, sheesh!! So I had to skip to the end, sorry I know I missed all kinds of interesting conversation... Had the last of the chicks for the summer hatch yesterday, YAY!!! I will turn the bator back on in the fall, by then the legbars should be laying (I hope!)
Hi Daloor...

Yep, so relieved he didn't break anything, he's my baby!! Shocking since his entire hoof was twisted backwards, along the heavy steel piping and reebar. Every time he'd go to move, since he had the one hurt leg (left hind) held way up in the air from the bull panel resting on him, I expected to hear something break. The fear was worse than anything I've ever experienced. Just knowing that at any second things could end tragically, if either Chico blew up and snapped his leg, or we absolutely couldn't get the steel off him and had to put him down where he stood.

My nerves are fried!!! DH claims his finger hurts but is okay... what a trooper!!

Today is laundry day here too.... you know it's time when you have no more clean bras, underwear or socks. Going commando is only acceptable for so long
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom