Utah!

Treat time for the flock :D

It's been a while since I've posted. I guess since I gave my rooster to RJ. I hope all is well with him, no word since last summer! My coop has worked out amazingly well. The only change I made was getting rid of the feed tubes and went with a 5 gallon bucket with a couple of 90 degree elbows inserted at the bottom taken from this post. Absolutely no waste in feed. For 8 chickens, the last 5 gallons lasted 20 days. Not bad I guess. I highly recommend it to anyone.

My test this past year with 8 hens has gone well. I've enjoyed it and surprisingly my wife has warmed up to it. My coop is really big for 8 hens and I'm now looking at increasing the flock. My family of 7 uses most of the eggs with about 1 week on hand at any time. However we are trying to think of ways for the kids to start saving up for missions/college and thought they can take up the fresh egg business and sell to many of our neighbors who have shown interest. So couple of questions for the group:
  1. Would it be too stressful on the current flock to add an addition 12-14 hens to their environment?
  2. I'm on the fence of buying chicks and waiting 4-5 months for eggs or getting older 1 year old egg layers and seeing immediate results. Thoughts?
  3. What is the going rate for a dozen fresh eggs?
  4. What other factors should I consider with having 20+ hens instead of 8?
  5. Any preferred choices on breeds? I currently have 1 BR, 2 BO, 2 BSL, 2 RIR. 1 Ameracauna.
  6. Should I go to IFA, buy off KSL, looks like many of you hatch your own. Any good options to steer me towards?

I appreciate your input!

Your right, does anybody have Black Australorps or Buff Orpingtons

youcluckingatme has both

Hey all, does anybody know of anyone her in Utah that raise Light sussex or Cream Legbars?

Oh man about two summers ago it seemed like there were so many on here with the legbars. I have not seen many around lately. There is a facebook page "Backyard Chickens of Southeast Idaho", if you message me your email or facebook name I can send you an invite and you could get on there and ask, I have seen a few mention them. There is an event called Chickenstock coming May 2 and I believe there was somebody saying they wanted to bring some. It is in Idaho Falls, I am going and would be glad to bring back birds to Logan (and we could find a ride to wherever you are :D) if you can track them down and arrange it. Most of the birds that are taken there are presold either on this thread, the Idaho thread, the Chickenstock thread, or somewhere in our many social media connections haha :D I cannot even keep track of all the pages anymore.

Farmchick--FYI ...the guy that runs chickenstock "Birdguy" has many Icelandics that's his thing. And there is a lady from Shelley that has some as well and she is usually there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom