Utah!

Pics
I am in Woods Cross. I am a noo-b. Just finishing up my coop. Currently have 2-Buff Orpingtons, 1-Golden Sex Link, 1-Black Sex Link.
-----Quark999-----

Welcome to BYC!!!
smile.png
welcome-byc.gif

I have 8 acres in southern Utah county... hope to eventually have a little retirement farm house there someday. wife wants to buy a condo in the City Creek development south of Temple Square... Maybe we'll have 3 homes.

I'm in Fillmore, but make it to Utah County several times a month, almost weekly for business. I have a buff orphington roo (1 yo), three easter eggers and four other brown egg layers. I think they are all mutts, but someone gave them to me for free when my order of chicks last years ended up all being roos. I know five of the hens are almost a year old and the other two, I have no idea.

I picked up 20 PBR chicks from a guy in Payson about a month ago (I found him on KSL) and they're doing great...other than the two who were pecked to death this past week. I made other arrangements for the babies very quickly so they aren't so crowded and so far so good. Unless I started out with 8 pullets and 12 cockerels for the pot (plus a packing peanut--almost certainly a cockerel s he was trying to offload them.)

I helped process my roos last year, but I know a lot of slaughter houses will do your chickens (that's probably not the PC term now, is it?)

I am attending BYU in Provo. I don't have any chickens yet, but someday I'd like a flock of Delawares and Buff orpingtons. I'm planning on asking the landlord to see if we could have chickens or not- we're only allowed "birds and fish", but a chicken's a bird, right? And he cheats himself- he keeps his little dogs outside in a pen, and the city let him do it. After college I'm not sure where we'll go. Somewhere that allows chickens though!
My family raises chickens, and I've grown up with them. We usually have americanas (the feed store called them aracanas, but I don't think they're right), red sex-links, a few RIR's, and barred rocks. I think they may have a buff orpington or two, but I'm not sure. My husband gave my family 8 baby chicks right before we were married- they don't have room for eight cows! A few months ago Dad brought us up a dozen eggs that those chicks had layed.

Anybody in the SLC area interested in a black orpington rooster? he's absolutely beautiful and pretty friendly (except with the hens which he's chasing around the yard now that he's old enough.) We have too many roos and need to give away 2 of them. Here's a picture of "Chuckles." We want to make sure he gets a VERY good home. We'd keep him but we want to stay low key with our chicks and having 3 crowing roosters is pretty obnoxious to our neighbors, it seems. No real problems yet but I want to keep it that way.
smile.png

PHOT0123.jpg

Oh, he's beautiful! I really wish I could take him. I'm going to have to wait to get chickens, though. Fall classes are starting up in a few weeks, and right after that is Christmas, and right after that my baby is due, and then we'll probably be moving... but I really wish I could take him!

Back
Top Bottom