Utah!

Interesting info on the eggs... thanks happy!

Very nice quilt Moriah!! And very cool looking EE, they are starting to fascinate me, I need to find a book about chicken genetics..

I've had the same temptation with cats, but would get in big trouble if I tried to shoot it, especially since it belongs to my next-door neighbor=( It will yowl at my cat at 4:30 in the morning, the most annoying yowl I have EVER heard, plus it eats our cat's food... BAD kitty!!

Speaking of genetics, I was looking through the sex-link thread, and there was info on there about feather sexing... sounds like it is similar to sex-linking chickens.. if one parent is a 'fast feathering type" then the chicks of a certain sex will be fast feathering... very interesting stuff...

Anyone headed Moriah's way before Tuesday???

JF, be warned - if you happen to live in West Valley, any kind of projectile is considered illegal, even a snowball. Ohhh I wonder if they know how many people break that law every winter?
roll.png
I'm not sure I would shoot a cat, but I'd sure be tempted! I would opt for the live trap approach. Then you can take Mister Kitty for a ride to the shelter or something.

Moriah, nice quilt! My mom's a quilter, though she hasn't been active with it since I was a preteen. I've got a boat load of old jeans that I've been saving up for a jean quilt. I'm getting excited about it! A comfy, heavy blanket with pockets. How can you go wrong with that?

Holy smokes, why am I still up? I know I was going to comment on other things, but I need to get to bed. I don't want my pillow to beat me again. Nighty night!

Cynthia - I need you to do a candling workshop for me. Especially for those shipped eggs. By water, are you talking about what I see as thin liquid with some bubbles? And I have never seen a bullseye.

Thought I would share some pics too
smile.png

A pretty EE. I was surprised at her coloring. She's the only one that has these markings. A keeper.

My last batch of hatching eggs, set 7/12. The top lighter ones are from Chicken Junkies. The bluer ones from Madelynbelle.
fl.gif

They are Wheaten/Blue Wheaten. I prefer B/B/S but I'm not finding many sources for those that aren't slim body type. That would be my only temptation at this point, or a guaranteed blue splash silkie like Cythia's. Its the sweetest.

This is a "T shirt" quilt I did for a customer with a basketball theme. The back was minkee. I thought it turned out cute. Any quilters here?

Jesusfreak - Yes, you can protect livestock from any animals but make sure you know the laws where you live. Many cities don't allow any shooting, including BB guns and archery, in the city limits.

Ann

I love that girl. I have a easter egger that is a typical brown partridge color. She also has slate leggs and yellow foot bottoms, That would qualify her to be an Americana as EE usually have green leggs but Americanas don't have the partridge color,

Urgent!!!

In Utah, do we have the right to shoot a feral cat if they are trying to get our chickens? I just saw a cat that was trying to get to mine...

not sure where you live but shooting a gun in the city is always a problem. You don't need to have animal control come to your house you can go there and they will give you a trap or you can buy one at Harbor frieght and they aren't expensive. If you trap it take it to AC and let them deal with it.

Sasha what about Clay is he old enough to be in the fair? He is awfully cute. Hedwig maybe....pretty girl. If mine did not have weird toes I would go with them....Elvis is pretty cute and getting big too! It sounds like the fair here is really low key, Phoenix just said you fill out a tag, they look at it, you put whatever it is and what kind you are showing, and it did not sound like there were lots of guidelines......never done it though so I am nervous to try! But I think the bar is not as high for show quality as it is at the chicken shows. Hope they let me put one in.
How old does a chick need to be in order to be entered? I guess I better research, but I assumed 6 months. Clay will be just 3 months old, but most importantly, crele is not yet recognized as a standard color. *sigh*
Elvis is looking really good, but her lacing isn't the best. If the local fair is a lot more low key, then maybe I should try her. Oh...she has that really crooked toe! Maybe Hedwig is my best bet then. LOL Her tail isn't the greatest, is what I was thinking about her.

Interesting info on the eggs... thanks happy!

Very nice quilt Moriah!! And very cool looking EE, they are starting to fascinate me, I need to find a book about chicken genetics..

I've had the same temptation with cats, but would get in big trouble if I tried to shoot it, especially since it belongs to my next-door neighbor=( It will yowl at my cat at 4:30 in the morning, the most annoying yowl I have EVER heard, plus it eats our cat's food... BAD kitty!!

Speaking of genetics, I was looking through the sex-link thread, and there was info on there about feather sexing... sounds like it is similar to sex-linking chickens.. if one parent is a 'fast feathering type" then the chicks of a certain sex will be fast feathering... very interesting stuff...

Anyone headed Moriah's way before Tuesday???

If it is yowling at your cat it means its a tom or a girl in heat. When that happens here I trap them have them spayed or neutered and then release it, My neighbors don't seem to notice but my sleep is better without the yowling.

How old does a chick need to be in order to be entered? I guess I better research, but I assumed 6 months. Clay will be just 3 months old, but most importantly, crele is not yet recognized as a standard color. *sigh*
Elvis is looking really good, but her lacing isn't the best. If the local fair is a lot more low key, then maybe I should try her. Oh...she has that really crooked toe! Maybe Hedwig is my best bet then. LOL Her tail isn't the greatest, is what I was thinking about her.

so far I am going to enter my gold lace cochin, my lavender americana, my frizzle hen, my turkin pullet and my black bantum cochin. My bronchitis is so bad I may end up in the hospital tomorrow. Maybe even today darn it,

Hey they ask that they be fully feathered with there adult feathers and that they be not be back yard mixed? AS soon as I can get the page to load again I will post the rules for ya

CHICKEN SHOW INFORMATION
Thank you for entering your bird in the Cache
County Fair Chicken Show. The following are
some guidelines and information that might come
in handy, or answer any questions you might have
during the show.
1. If you are entering your bird, and you are a Jr.
Exhibitor (under 18), please write Jr. on the
exhibitor list and on the cage card so that we
will be aware of how many junior exhibitors
are exhibiting and who they are. All exhibitors
need to make sure that all of the proper paperwork
is filled out and given to the proper authorities.
We recommend that boxes or carriers
be taken with you after entering your birds,
then brought back when picking up birds, this
helps keep area looking nicer and prevents loss
of property.
2. We are asking that all birds are old enough to
be entered in the show. They need to be feathered
out in their adult plumage, if there is any
question please do not bring your bird. If your
bird shows any sign of illness or parasites
please do not exhibit it. Shows can be stressful
and if birds are in a weakened condition it
could be lethal. This is also a courtesy to other
exhibitors so that no other birds are exposed to
disease or parasites.
3. We will be prejudging birds before entering.
Birds not deemed worthy of being judged will
not be entered. i.e.-clipped wings, not standard
breed, parasites or illness, disqualifying
features, etc.
4. When determining how many birds to enter,
please consider quality of birds versus quantity
of birds. We may limit the number of birds
entered per individual or family.
5. Judging of the birds will take place Thursday
morning starting at 9 a.m. It usually takes most
of the morning to complete the judging. No
one will be allowed in the aisles during the