Utah!

Lisa I am so glad that you got some of the SBELs. I had bad luck with them; huge wonky air cells and none ever pipped. Did I miss pics of them? Weird about the Marans; I hope you get some :fl

I have not posted pics yet, i need to, they are cute! I want to give them little baths first, their fur on the heads are all slicked back and nasty, they need to be fluffed up :) The air cells on these were weird too, most of them went up the side quite a ways on one side, like a "u" shape...I was worried too because the air cells got so big, like half air cell, half chick, I used hardly any water because the Marans were in with them and they are so hard to get dried out enough, and of course they were still too wet, just the opposite, and not enough air cell. I should not have kept them in the same bator I suppose. I lost the second marans, then went ahead and looked in the last few, all drowned, full of the wet slime. Dang it. Wishing I would have looked a little sooner....but the one baby that hatched first is still doing ok so far, not moving around a whole lot, but seems ok for now. I sure hope it is a girl! I have 6 SBEL's...I want to wait to see what gender for a few weeks, My neighbor wants one and I want two. If there are more than three girls I will let you know :) My luck there will be 5 boys and one girl. Or 6 boys....Congrats on your boy's mission call! That is exciting! Glad he is not leaving the country.

Donna, that is too bad the welsummers are not hatching for you, poor Joel! If I get any in m y assortment eggs, they said maybe a couple Welsummer eggs, I will let you know if any hatch, you are welcome to them (if the stars line up, dark eggs are not hatching for me right now, Grrrr)

Sundance, I am staying far away from your place until yo have rehomed those birds, you have some fun ones, I am not even daring to think about it!

So tomorrow I plan to set the eggs from Blujems, and also two dozen eggs coming from birdguy :) So much for that last batch. Sphinx, you called it, you win all the roosters that hatch from the eggs lol!! I really want to be done after I can finally find my showgirl eggs....no hatching all summer this year. No way. Really.! Really??

Last edited:
Quick question... so I set eggs in my homemade incubator, and I'm just hoping it all works out. Tomorrow will be day 6. I candled one today as I was turning them and I can see a darker red blob with spider veins running out from them. Is this how it should be? Should it be farther along in its development? How do I know if it stops developing?

Thanks, Utahans!

Quick question... so I set eggs in my homemade incubator, and I'm just hoping it all works out. Tomorrow will be day 6. I candled one today as I was turning them and I can see a darker red blob with spider veins running out from them. Is this how it should be? Should it be farther along in its development? How do I know if it stops developing? 

Thanks, Utahans!

Sounds good to me!

Check out this Birchen Cochin Rooster. He is free! A friend of mine got a boy from me when I hatched these. He is making lots of noise of course, and is now mating the ladies. Beautiful boy! Sundance is coming to Orem today.

Don't get on for 2 days, miss out on lots! Cyndi, congrats on your son's mission call! Exciting! Cynthia, I can't believe it's been 6 months already for Austin. Wow, time flies!

Lots of babies, hatching, and Sundancen....Seramas are so, so, SO tempting to me! I've got plans though that I'm trying to stick to. Trying, being the key word. Besides, no plans to drive down that way any time soon. :(

Today is hatch day for my 2nd batch! These are all different color bantam Cochins from Luckypickins. I've got a blue spalsh, a Lemon Blue and a Birchen all hatched this morning so far. The 2 lavender eggs, red, mottled, silver laced are all pipped and working on it. Looks like I may have 3 of the 11 that went in to lock down not hatch. Not too bad. (will be missing out on a blue barred, splash and buff columbian.)
Monday is lockdown for my bantam wheaten Ameraucanas! From show quality stock. Woohoo!!! Also, the Mille Fleur D'uccles will be locking down the same day.

Auntie Hattie: when are your kids driving down? For Easter? Would you like any of these babies? If you take a couple Ameraucanas and they end up being roosters, I can always take them back and swap ya. :)

Now, to send some e-mails for next batches: Crele Bantam Wyandottes and Mille Fleur/Calico Cochins.
woot.gif

Sasha, what a fun variety you have going! Pleeeeeez post pics. I bet they are adorable :)

I was all excited to finally put eggs under my broody, and of course she is off the nest this morning. I have so many eggs going in, I am not sure how it happened. I have 12 in the bator hatching next week.....36 going in tonight, then 30 in the mail....plus 20 or so paid for and not shipped yet...My living room currently has 11 chicks, my garage has 13 chicks, then the 2 chicks I just got integrated to the coop with the 30 or so big girls...Goodness how did I get myself in this mess lol I think I better go get some more feeder/waterers.....

I know how! p.s. I just made myself two nice feeders from 5 gallon buckets and a galvanized pan.
That is the kind we use for the big girls! Love them, we sit them up on a tire, the feed pan fits in the center perfectly, then they are high enough off the ground, I never liked the idea of hanging feeders because they are so heavy. Want another chick>? I owe ya one :) Edit--I found a pic... you can see it in there behind the door...with the orange lid. Gamma lids are nice and easy to open and fill 'er up too :) Yours is cuter, it is not covered in poop and dust yet! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom