Utah!

I just got off the phone with Diana-Sundancenbare. She called about her grow out pen, and she does sound much better today then she did last week when I talked to her. She said she is doing much better, but still will be in the ICU for a while. She said she doesn't know when they will move her. Glad to hear she is doing better, hopefully she will recover fast and get out of ICU.

I wrote her. I hope she gets moved out of ICU soon!

When they are with mom, they are helped with food by her mushing it into the ground and making it small enough for them. I wait until around 5 or 6 weeks myself. Then I add the small grit into their area for them to find. I don't mix it, I just throw it out and around.
Well I have 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 week olds outside in the run/coop. They do have a bowl out there with chick grit, and they are on fine dirt. I have been giving them mealworms every 3-4 days and all types of lettuce, strawberries, and banana's (well they don't really like the banana's) as treats. I just feel bad that they aren't out eating free range right now. So if I buy a bag of scratch, so I just throw a handful out in their run? I bet they would be so excited. I actually spread the meal worms around on the ground, and they look for about 15 minutes even after they are all gone, at least they are entertained for a while. lol

i also feed my chicks grass and dandylions from about a week. I think it helps them adjust to more solid foods. They love fresh grass. Even though my big hens have access to the back yard lawn, they will still come dig though the pile of grass after i mow the lawn.

Same here :) I give them a pile from the bagger and they go crazy and play in it and eat it for hours. I give them the short stuff, if it is toolong I worry about that impacted crop stuff, but don't know if that really is a concern...

Scratch, for me is something for them to do to entertain themselves, I throw it around the run, they scratch and dig and it helps keep their nails in shape and keeps them from fighting or getting bored. Plus the exercise I think is good for them...I personally would not put it in a bowl, they would pig out on it so fast I would not get as much mileage out of it :)

Gary and Lisa..same here, I give them grass early on. I don't however, give them grass clippings. It can be a bad thing. I know a lot of people do, but I was once told not to feed some horses grass clippings because of gas fumes, and actually things that are picked up in the yard that could be bad for the gut. Now granted, this is for the horse. I just don't like the thought of the gas and oil fumes going into the bag. ? Just a thought.
I also throw out some grains for them in the summer. Not as much. They do have fun scratching! It is better for them in the winter, especially the corn. It warms their bodies up pretty good. Starch? So I don't give as much corn in the summer, but I give them sunflower seeds, and I have some grains I get from a friend in Richfield. Big ol bag of wheat and barley and oats, only 13 dollars for 50 lbs.! Brandi goes down there every now and again, and I have her pick me up a bag when she goes. I now have two trash cans of it. :)

Does anyone have any tiny babies they've hatched in the last 3 days, or going to be hatching in the next couple? I have a single Serama chick that hatched last night. It's hatch mate quit right after lockdown, it looks like. :( Baby is all alone! Excited to see what color it ends up being...looks black on top, blue on the belly, yellow under the chin. :) Will take some pics soon!
Here's a pic I just took of one of my bantam Wheaten Ameraucanas that Auntie Hattie gave me last fall. Isn't she pretty?

Good comment on the grass Cynthia, did not consider the fumes, bleh!

Sasha she is sooo pretty. ! I only have 2 babies, the silkie pair, dang it! Maybe a chick from the feed store? They had bantams at CAL last week, cute little things.

Thanks, Lisa. Was just at Cal yesterday and they didn't have any bantams left. Just some older (2 weeks?) LF chicks. That needed me to water them.
hide.gif

I may have to take a drive down to Ogden's IFA, but I'm willing to go further if someone here has anything. I have a little dog kennel to take back to Diana and a dish for Red.
wink.png

Here's my new little baby Serama. So sweet, cries and cries when I stop holding her. 15 hours old. Haha, she looks grumpy, but was really just falling asleep.

Do you think she's a blue?

Thanks, Lisa. Was just at Cal yesterday and they didn't have any bantams left. Just some older (2 weeks?) LF chicks. That needed me to water them.
hide.gif

I may have to take a drive down to Ogden's IFA, but I'm willing to go further if someone here has anything. I have a little dog kennel to take back to Diana and a dish for Red.
wink.png

Here's my new little baby Serama. So sweet, cries and cries when I stop holding her. 15 hours old. Haha, she looks grumpy, but was really just falling asleep.

Do you think she's a blue?

I still have that black one here, still isn't much bigger than that one!

Back
Top Bottom