Vaccinated hen getting Marek's or ??

amymboxer

Chirping
Mar 19, 2016
Last year I lost almost my entire flock to Marek's (nercropy confirmed) So I vaccinated everything and hatched myself and kept them indoors or in the garage for 6 weeks plus. Everyone has been fine 9 mos later. However my amerucana hen I found stuck last week under a ladder and ever since seems not to keep her balance well and I have found her fallen over and had to set her on her feet. She cannot climb up the coop. It first I thought maybe she actually has Mareks since I know it is not 100%effective but she does not appear to be getting progressively worse. Maybe a spine injury? She does seem a bit light though like she is not eating quite enough. Would symptoms of Mareks appear this late?

Last year I lost almost my entire flock to Marek's (nercropy confirmed) So I vaccinated everything and hatched myself and kept them indoors or in the garage for 6 weeks plus. Everyone has been fine 9 mos later. However my amerucana hen I found stuck last week under a ladder and ever since seems not to keep her balance well and I have found her fallen over and had to set her on her feet. She cannot climb up the coop. It first I thought maybe she actually has Mareks since I know it is not 100%effective but she does not appear to be getting progressively worse. Maybe a spine injury? She does seem a bit light though like she is not eating quite enough. Would symptoms of Mareks appear this late?

Marek's symptoms could present at any time in life. :barnie

Good for you for getting past necropsy! :highfive:

Sorry your girl is unwell. :(

Is she laying eggs? When was the last one? How many birds in your place with how much space? How are her droppings? What do you feed including treats and supplements? How has your weather been? Have you looked for injuries? Ever check for parasites, internal or external? A fecal float can be done at most any vet and could verify or rule out several possibilities. Are you able to post a pic?

This is her. She is eating and walking around. Not like the other hens that had Mareks. Been going on about a week. If she topples over I have found her twice on her back. I noticed she walks carefully and cannot run.

Attachments

• 151681683884823009458.jpg
    151681683884823009458.jpg
    975 KB · Views: 18
I have 5 full sized hens with her with 5 silkies and 6 seramas in a 7 x 15 coop. They do free range some. The seramas and silkies are out every day becaue they do not do as much damage as the big girls. She is one f the more dominant hens typically. No illness to speak of. They get layer mix and treats. Could be a nutritional thing but she does not lay much and currently not at all. I noticed that with one of Mareks hen the died much later than the others she did not lay for a long time. But all of mine that start showing symptoms quit moving or die with a week. Just curious with a vaccinated hen it would show up so late like that? The bird/chicken vet at the center where I got the nercropy done seemed to think that the vaccine is pretty effective around here.

If she was found stuck on a ladder it sounds more like an injury to me. Sometimes they will heal on their own but not always. Best wishes.
I agree... sounds like injury is a good possibility.

Treats... what kind? This does have baring on nutritional impact which vitamin deficit is VERY impacting on muscle control. It might be more intensified if their is a worm load of some sort.
But all of mine that start showing symptoms quit moving or die with a week.
That was caused in part by the tumors that develop. The vaccine stops those tumors from developing. But I agree this doesn't seem the same.

Though it isn't typical for Marek's to show up late... it does happen sometimes. Yes, the vaccine is considered pretty effective. But that's assuming it was administered at the right time and correctly. And even them... 1 out of 100 still means that 1 bird will still succumb.

Some things that cause loss of balance... cocci, vitamin deficit of B1, B6, A, or E, lead poisoning, ear infection, some more serious viruses, or other toxic ingestion accidents. And today.. I discovered just how bad dehydration can effect them. A recently hatched chick wasn't able to walk when I woke up this am. I started watering and within a couple hours is already walking and drinking on it's own again!

I'm not truly suspecting Marek's...

I would offer support in the form of scrambled eggs (good source of vitamins/minerals, usually very palatable, and easy to digest), and electrolyte water, with a vitamin supplement if possible. If you don't have electrolytes, simple recipe is... 2 cups warm water, 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon each salt AND baking soda. Stir until dissolved and serve full strength. If you have bird or baby vitamins (with NO iron) they can be added to the drink. (1/2 teaspoon salt substitute/potassium chloride is also good to add).

Hoping for the best! It can take a little while to recover from some injuries, for sure. Sorry I can't be more help but I will be following along and hoping for a great outcome. :fl

I have electrolytes so I will add it. Is is only very noticable if she gets knocked over and I then put her back or her feet. She definately has trouble with balanced. I almost thought to take her for a nercropsy to see as I thought she would die soon anyways but it has been about a week without any progression. So far the other hens are not bothering her and seems to be eating and drinking fine. We will see how she fairs. I know this time of year seems prime for coccidia with the wetter weather and they dehydrate but she is not acting actually I'll. Strange I will see if I csn get s video.

Well she is looking better. Probably injury or some kind of vitamen issue. Changed feed back to a mix i typically use made locally. Maybe there was a pesticide or something on fruit i threw out to them..who knows. It seems neurologic since her balance was off. And she isnt laying much. Marek's was so devastating that I am currently in the lookout and scrupulous with chicks to limit risk of exposure. In my area the vets say about 5 to 6 mos it should not be in the environment and vaccinated hens should not be contagious but I do not trust it as I see too much conflicting information out there to know for sure. Or maybe she has it and just is not getting and sick because of the vaccine? Who knows time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom