Vaccines on small homestead flocks?

Jul 8, 2023
I am ending day 17 of my silkie hatch and have put 7 healthy eggs on lock down. I have done endless research and also spoke to other farmers in the area that have helped me greatly in the incubation period.

But I’m stuck on two things that have shown mixed reviews….

1- if I’m raising a small backyard flock with no other animals other than two dogs and some squirrels should I be using medicated chick feed for the first few months? Or organic feed? I will eventually free range my chickens.

2- how important is it to vaccinate your chickens if you are raining them for the sole purpose of pets with the added benefit of fresh eggs? I’ve red mixed reviews about vaccinations and small flocks.

Any advice would be AMAZING!!! I’m new at this and don’t want to jeopardize one single baby. 😬

The coccidiosis vaccine is unnecessary when feeding Medicated feed.
The mareks vaccine doesn't keep them from getting or spreading mareks, it just usually prevents the tumors that kills them.
Most vaccines are expensive and only available in 100 chick doses and it doesnt keep. If you have less than that, it not really worth it.
You will have to provide feed for them for their lives, most areas don't provide enough nutrients to support birds during the green months, let alone winter.
Unless you have feral flocks of chickens, it won't work.
Especially silkies, who struggle with vitamin deficiency.
I recommend a coop with a large run, since you will have times where you need to keep them confined, with weather, predators, you're out of town or sick. It makes it easier for you and others and safer for them.

Thank you so much for the advice? So you do recommend the medicated feed? I am in the process of building a large weather proof coop for them for the months they can’t run around I guess free range wasn’t the correct term but they will def be roaming around my yard eventually and want to make sure I am protecting them.

I have over 100 "extreme free-range" chickens outside right now.
They sleep in trees.
They eat poop.
They eat squirrels and fight rats.
I have a meat bucket that predators get thrown into and it rains maggots down for my chickens.
They visit neighboring flocks, sometimes leaving for days at a time.
Sometimes they never come back, and sometimes entirely new birds arrive and never leave.
I have a fox that comes here every day and almost never catches anything.
In all of my time and with all of the many birds I've seen, I have only ever beheld one sick bird. One.

And she recovered

I have not ever vaccinated an animal and they reward me far beyond anything I could ever have asked for. I trust the immune systems of the chickens that God has already made perfect

I think chickens only get sick when kept in artificial confinement. In other words, cleanliness is what's going to kill your birds

I have over 100 "extreme free-range" chickens outside right now.
They sleep in trees.
They eat poop.
They eat squirrels and fight rats.
I have a meat bucket that predators get thrown into and it rains maggots down for my chickens.
They visit neighboring flocks, sometimes leaving for days at a time.
Sometimes they never come back, and sometimes entirely new birds arrive and never leave.
I have a fox that comes here every day and almost never catches anything.
In all of my time and with all of the many birds I've seen, I have only ever beheld one sick bird. One.

And she recovered

I have not ever vaccinated an animal and they reward me far beyond anything I could ever have asked for. I trust the immune systems of the chickens that God has already made perfect

I think chickens only get sick when kept in artificial confinement. In other words, cleanliness is what's going to kill your birds
Oh wow this is an amazing read! I love learning everything I can about chickens I love animals but am new to the poultry world!! I did want to go more organic since it’s a small flock so this helped me make my mind up! Thanks for the information!!

I don't vaccinate, and I don't feed medicated food. The Mareks vaccine doesn't prevent it, it just helps to stop them getting sick and dying from it, which for some people might be enough for the to get it. However, there has a been many people who think that the vaccine has actually made the disease worse, and I don't believe most vaccines are good for anyone's health.
It is the kind of thing where you need to make up your own mind as to whether you want it or not.

With coccidiosis, I prefer to just treat it, if its needed. (which so far it never has, so I'm lucky there, but it does back up my thought, as otherwise I would be treating for something that never needed it.

And do remember with free ranging chickens, those like the poster above have chickens which have bred like that, that can fly and know how to take care of themselves.
Silkies most likely wouldn't know any of that, and would be sitting ducks as far as predators go, and are likely to starve if you don't feed them.

I don't know much about silkies, but can they be free ranged in the same way Vanakrishna says? Sounds like gamefowl / semi-feral breeds rather than silkies. They have very different feathers than most chickens, and may need special care. I'm not sure, not an expert.

I've seen lots of people suggest that the best protection from coccidiosis is putting a pan of dirt in the brooder, or just brooding outside.

For organic feed, sadly lots of organic feed doesn't have proper amino acid levels when compared to non-organic. I started feeding organic at first for the same motivations as you, but I decided to just get a commercial feed that gives them what they need now. They don't 100% feed themselves because they're all dual purpose or layer breeds, but I do see my fayoumi hen catch beetles out of the air and chow down, so she's at least supplementing herself with that. I'm out rural though, and have bugs aplenty. They're still cheap eaters though.

Thank you so much for the advice? So you do recommend the medicated feed? I am in the process of building a large weather proof coop for them for the months they can’t run around I guess free range wasn’t the correct term but they will def be roaming around my yard eventually and want to make sure I am protecting them.
I wouldn't give silkies medicated feed but it shouldn't hurt either way.

I don't know much about silkies, but can they be free ranged in the same way Vanakrishna says? Sounds like gamefowl / semi-feral breeds rather than silkies. They have very different feathers than most chickens, and may need special care. I'm not sure, not an expert.
My kids pressured me into buying a silkie hen about 10 days ago. I just set her outside with all of my feral birds. So far she's doing great and seems to be getting along nicely with everyone. My broodcock in particular likes her

She actually roosted in a little tree about six inches off the ground on her very first night here. That's better survival instincts than many production breeds

Here she is next to my current broodcock. He was trying to impress her at the time
16.jpg

As someone else pointed out though, the chicken breed, local predator species, and geography all have to be considered before free-ranging. For example: many production breeds end up as hawk food in grassy fields

I don't vaccinate, and I don't feed medicated food. The Mareks vaccine doesn't prevent it, it just helps to stop them getting sick and dying from it, which for some people might be enough for the to get it. However, there has a been many people who think that the vaccine has actually made the disease worse, and I don't believe most vaccines are good for anyone's health.
It is the kind of thing where you need to make up your own mind as to whether you want it or not.

With coccidiosis, I prefer to just treat it, if its needed. (which so far it never has, so I'm lucky there, but it does back up my thought, as otherwise I would be treating for something that never needed it.

And do remember with free ranging chickens, those like the poster above have chickens which have bred like that, that can fly and know how to take care of themselves.
Silkies most likely wouldn't know any of that, and would be sitting ducks as far as predators go, and are likely to starve if you don't feed them.
Thanks so much for the info. I miss spoke when I said free range they def. Will be kept in a coop/run when not supervised. I will be getting other chickens that are more hearty but my silkies are def. Going to be more of a family pet than anything. I was really stuck on whether vaccines where important in the poultry world when having dogs or living in certain areas. So all these responses have helped me make up my mind. I would perfer to not have to vaccinate so I’m happy that everyone seems to have the same feed back! I need all the info I can get before my babies get here!

Back
Top Bottom