vacume storing feed?

caspernc

Songster
9 Years
Oct 15, 2010
Z town NC
Will putting extra feed in vacume bags or vacume bucketts keep feed from molding? I know this is a worn out topic but I have not seen anything on vacum storing. I want to buy alot of feed while I can and want to keep the bugs and the mold out. Does anyone keep feed like this?

Well if I can get the feed at a good price NOW and it doubles in the next six months and it is still good, I'm still saving. But is it enough to keep the feed good, ei., not moldy. Feed is going to go up in the next six months. A LOT!

Last edited:
Quote:
Storing feed in a non-oxidizing atmosphere (nitrogen) at a reduced temperature will protect nutrients for degredation and slow fungi / mold development.

Why will grain prices being up so much? Impending asteroid impact or major crop failure somewhere?

inflation is on the way. It is only slow right now. I want to get to the feed before it gets so bad. I want to beat the upsurg. Dose it gets any better with vacume sealing. Why is feed going up? well everything is going up! Inflation is going to put a stop to the econemy. Bad things to come. SS

Standard feed that has had the whole grain cracked will go stale. It really isn't recommended to store feed for a long time. I tried to buy about 4 months of feed (4 bags) for my chickens once, when I only had 6 chickens. It truly was gross after 4 months. Stale-smelling and I think it was starting to go moldy in my garage. My feed bin wasn't airtight.

Whole grains if kept dry and rodent free will keep much longer. But if you mix your own feed you must get them enough protein. Not just throw them some wheat.

Yes, whole grains have much longer shelf life. Nutritional value of some such as oats can be enhanced by soaking in water for a couple days prior to feeding to birds. Several recipes have been cycled around that are based only on intact grains. They are adequate for growth but often can be improved upon. Do search. Fish meal is an excellent high protein density feedstuff that can be used to bump up rations protein content. Also keeps well. Also consider vitamin pre-mixes and mineral sources reach in calcium and magnesium. Some forms of grit (oyster-shell) can be suitable sources of some minerals.

Quote:
Chicken feed and human food works pretty much the same. Vacuum sealing will help to extend the storage life if the food was fresh and of the proper moisture content to begin with.

Storage temperature plays a big role here as well. Keep your vacuum sealed bags in a cool area and you should be able to get an easy couple of years storage life before you see significant nutritional loss.

Personally I wouldn't try to take it past that though. Too many unknowns at work here. As others have noted whole grains will store much better.

I've used dry ice and dessicants to keep feed stored in drums in my workshop for a year and it worked well. This is Florida though and my workshop is not air conditioned so a year was as far as I was willing to take it to store a milled filled like the Purina Flock Raiser I experimented with.

Ill let you all have my invention, I dont have the time or money.....
roll.png
Food grade buckets with a sealing lid that have a foodsaver attachment, NO "added cost" of plastic bags or whatever....Or same bucket with a wine bottle size hole in top, could use one of those suction corking systems (20$) the kind you pump by hand....Im really surprised these arent out there, cuz even if youre using youre feed up quickly, they would keep it fresher...The good buckets are at the beer brewing stores 10 gal. food grade with gasket, there are a variety of different adaptations you could make to the lid to vacuum out the air......
hu.gif
I think something more powerful than foodsaver would be good for ten gallons or more, I know for a fact theres a device that works like a reverse air compressor, cant remember what theyre called, they usually have a foot pedal, Ive seen them used in glass paperweight production to suck molten glass into molds around other premade glass or metal objects (roses, fish, etc.) (takes like 600 psi but in reverse)..... there u go....build it!

.....BUT lots of smaller containers would be better, IMO, that way you never expose oxy to stored containers, ideally you would have a months worth or less, per container.....if youre small time like me vacuumable 5 gal. buckets would be perfect! Id try getting the "jar attachment" hose from the foodsaver to fit some sort of modified bucket first...OR a "spacebag" ? After all its us peeps that CANT buy a ton at a time that really need this sorta thing!

Id really like to see more food co-ops getting wholesale pricing for the public AND decent sensible ways to store that food other than a paper bag!

Last edited:
could you use a vacum cleaner? Mine has an attachment so blow up ballons, you could leave on the suction on. Do the buckets at the brewery have a suction valve at the top? Could you send a picture of the buckets you are talking about?

Back
Top Bottom