vaginal prolapse?

dreamgirl

Songster
12 Years
May 28, 2007
Hudson Valley, NY
Hi, yesterday I surprised my white leghorn on the nest. She had just laid an egg (it was still moist) and was quite ticked and jumped off (I was gathering up the 3 other eggs I knew were under her and didn't realize she had just laid). It looked like an inch or so of her was on the outside of her vent. I ran into the house to get some sterile gloves and a bowl of water. When I got back out (1-2 minutes tops) it was only about 1/2 inch and there was a ball of poo, and by the time I caught her it was practically normal and the poo had fallen off. Her vent was doing that pulsing thing and each time it pulsed it seemed to draw in her insides. I've never seen this with any of my other hens, then again, I've never looked. She lays pretty large eggs. Any thoughts?

She might have had a partially prolapsed vent, and it just resolved itself. Or, that's just how she lays... I would try to see her in action again, to see if it's just common to her or if it could be a problem with the vent.

Sounds like a prolapsed vent, & I went thru it a few months ago with a hen.

I separated her, cleaned her vent gently with water, then put Preparation H cream on it (not the ointment--too gooey & greasy) 2 or 3 times a day. I gently pushed the prolapse in & up every time. It didn't seem to hurt her at all--I imagine she felt some relief! It took almost 2 weeks to get better, but SHE felt ok. It does start to get crusty because of stuck poop, but just wash it off (I did it outside with the hose) & put more medicine on her. She continued to lay, but I don't think it bothered her. I kept an eye on her! Be glad you caught it early!

Back
Top Bottom