Valentines Day chicks

Just make sure he's stable enough once you put him in with the others that he doesn't get trampled or fall face first into the water dish. It will depend on how bad the toe curling is.

So it’s day 19. No signs of the other eggs hatching. How long should I give them?

If the eggs aren't stinky and you don't intend to do an assisted hatch then I would wait until about day 20 before discarding the eggs. I tend to go poking around in eggs once they're that far overdue but I'm comfortable doing assisted hatches as well. A lot of people don't and that's perfectly ok.

If the eggs aren't stinky and you don't intend to do an assisted hatch then I would wait until about day 20 before discarding the eggs. I tend to go poking around in eggs once they're that far overdue but I'm comfortable doing assisted hatches as well. A lot of people don't and that's perfectly ok.
I checked and all remaining were “duds”. There were two fully formed chicks. The membrane looked dry. And the air cell was big.
Anyways,there are two I’m worried about. The late hatchers...can I use modified settings/care and keep them in the incubator? I’ll be more prepared with a 2nd small brooder,next time to help the babes who are having a hard time.

I checked and all remaining were “duds”. There were two fully formed chicks. The membrane looked dry. And the air cell was big.
Anyways,there are two I’m worried about. The late hatchers...can I use modified settings/care and keep them in the incubator? I’ll be more prepared with a 2nd small brooder,next time to help the babes who are having a hard time.

Yes, there's no reason you can't use the incubator as a secondary brooder for now. I would offer them a little Nutridrench as well for a boost if they're struggling.

Yes, there's no reason you can't use the incubator as a secondary brooder for now. I would offer them a little Nutridrench as well for a boost if they're struggling.
Is there an easy way I’m not thinking of,to clean the pine bedding? I was trying to use a cat litter scooper (new) but that isn’t working. Should I just change out bedding entirely?

Is there an easy way I’m not thinking of,to clean the pine bedding? I was trying to use a cat litter scooper (new) but that isn’t working. Should I just change out bedding entirely?
I change it out entirely when I clean. I keep a paper towel near the food that gets changed out multiple times/day, though.

My trick is to put puppy wee pads underneath so all I have to do is roll up the old stuff and put down new.

Brooder grid.jpg

I change it out entirely when I clean. I keep a paper towel near the food that gets changed out multiple times/day, though.
I was
My trick is to put puppy wee pads underneath so all I have to do is roll up the old stuff and put down new.

View attachment 2029113
are the pine pellets more economical than shavings (if they work for quail) ? Also,do these stools look normal?

Attachments

• 3103CF11-AAFE-4C2C-B38C-76713823FD6A.jpeg
    3103CF11-AAFE-4C2C-B38C-76713823FD6A.jpeg
    408.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom