Valiant young rooster brings fight back to assailant

Sorry for your the loss of Ms. Clucks, it's always painful to lose one when you know them that well.

In regards to the posts of this thread, however, possums and opossums are not the same thing, and what attacked the chickens is an opossum. This is also a lot of unnecessary hatred for opossums.

Nature is what it is, and proclaiming hatred and vilifying them like this is a little much.

Sorry about Ms. Clucks. Had an opossum attack on my flock a few weeks ago. My fave hen was badly injured but since has recovered just fine. Its crazy how they attack. They seem to grab bird after bird. Non of the others where injured but half where missing feathers. You dispatched your opossum with a hatchet. My husband used a flashlight. It was all he had on him after hearing the flock being attacked.
For the record I like opossums, they are interesting creatures. I just don't like them killing my chickens.:)

Sorry about Ms. Clucks. Had an opossum attack on my flock a few weeks ago. My fave hen was badly injured but since has recovered just fine. Its crazy how they attack. They seem to grab bird after bird. Non of the others where injured but half where missing feathers. You dispatched your opossum with a hatchet. My husband used a flashlight. It was all he had on him after hearing the flock being attacked.
For the record I like opossums, they are interesting creatures. I just don't like them killing my chickens.:)

No one likes anyone killing their chickens. Except perhaps at dinnertime.

The response was mostly towards the vehement displays of earlier comments.

The old saying about someone being in the dark should refer to a chicken being attacked by a Predator. After dark chickens are totally and completely at the mercy of whatever it is that is trying to eat them. Unfortunately possums don't show mercy to chickens. But possums are big babies and you can stop a possum assault with a wristbroom. Belabor the possum around the head and shoulders and it will sull up like last years news. Then it is perfectly safe to grab the tip of the possum's prehensile tail and transport the possum to the field of execution. Just hold the possum out and away from your body just incase Pogo suddenly comes out of his stupor.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...=6c69125352e816a69bc4c8655aefb2ef&action=view
Shake the tail. Ive caught many possums. Shake them a little by the tail so they cant climb up it. Just a slight shake so they cant grab their tail.

Sorry for your the loss of Ms. Clucks, it's always painful to lose one when you know them that well.

In regards to the posts of this thread, however, possums and opossums are not the same thing, and what attacked the chickens is an opossum. This is also a lot of unnecessary hatred for opossums.

Nature is what it is, and proclaiming hatred and vilifying them like this is a little much.

Hey Shirlain, do you have a Shiba Inu? The bird hunting dog? I have one too and she's okay around the girls...

Hey Shirlain, do you have a Shiba Inu? The bird hunting dog? I have one too and she's okay around the girls...

She sounds like a real sweetie! Got any pictures? But nah, as much as I would like to I wouldn't make a good owner, just don't have the Time at the moment to raise a dog properly. The profile picture is just an image I stole off of the vast depths of the interwebs from the meme "doge".

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom