Dipsy Doodle Doo

ODD BIRD
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Aiken, South Carolina 29801
My Coop
My Coop
Hi! These are all from the same cross ---
Jersey Giant X {Ameraucana x (Naked Neck x Silkie)}.

Dark-skin blues no comb or wattles (where'd the wattles go?)
335559710.jpg

Another dark-skinned blue no comb or wattles
335559711.jpg

dark-skinned black Naked Neck
335559712.jpg

close up
335565402.jpg

dark-skinned black This hen somehow got in one of the rooster pens and they nearly killed her.
335563349.jpg

dark-skinned straight comb black
335587842.jpg

close up of another dark skinned straight combed black
335565403.jpg

dark-skinned straight combed blue
335587845.jpg

another dark-skinned straight combed blue
335565400.jpg

Red-skinned black no comb Naked Neck hen. She lays a green egg.
335565404.jpg

She is almost the exact match of this red-skin Naked Neck rooster.
335079790.jpg

Red-skin blue
335563347.jpg

Straight combed dark-skinned black Naked Neck roo
335563348.jpg

Blue / red Naked Neck roo
335603099.jpg

Another blue / red Naked neck roo
335603098.jpg

I think they are some of the ODDEST of odd birds!
smile.png

Lisa

Ohh, thanks again! Isn't she neat !! (and another project!!) There is another 'fuller-bodied' blue hen from the cross with no comb or wattle that likes to scoot out the gate first thing in the morning and range all day. She doesn't come out of the woods til just in time for evening treats and goes in the big coop to roost.
I had only planned to use the dark-skinned Naked Neck birds from this cross, but those black-skinned blue no comb girls are so awesome, I have no choice.
smile.png

Lisa

Hi! Does anyone know what caused some girls to be wattle-less and comb-less (there is nothing there but a flat spot where a comb should be)?
The roo I used for the cross has a waddy flat-comb and large wattles. The hens were black Jersey Giants(large combs and wattles).

I'm not sure if it is the beard/muff/no-wattles trait splitting off into 2 different inherited things or modified pea-comb with one of those genes.
Or maybe something else entirely?
I'm finding the 'completely clean-faced' dark-skinned girls really appealing.
Thanks,
smile.png

Lisa

335603099.jpg

This guy slays me!
lau.gif
That HUGE comb on that head and body... LOL

The blue girls are very appealing though
smile.png
Not sure about that combless wattle-less thing though... maybe some variation of the peacomb gene.
idunno.gif

Quote:
They have combs and wattles, just not very large due to comb type combined with genetics and age. There genes for comb size(for smaller or even humongous sizes) and rose & peas tend to start out and stay very small on pullets for a while, as hens the combs and wattles probably will develop slightly more. I already can see wattles on some hens listed as being combless & wattle-less(like the hen on right in first pic).

The combination of rose & pea comb with small comb size can make for an almost clean-headed look. It's evident that rose comb is present in your stock(3rd and 4th pic and possibly the blue/red roo on perch. The other hens are too far away to see what comb type they have. Anyways tiny comb size combined with rose comb combined with genes for smooth combs can make hens/pullets that look almost completely combless.

I'm guessing the small comb size came from the Giants, it seems to me they tend to run towards very small combs.

I dont know if its luck, or just the results of a lot of harmonally challenged chickens in your barnyard, but you have some very interesting crosses!!

I love the colors of the bluish looking ones! The naked neck rooster is a little scary, but still interesting! LOL

Back
Top Bottom