Varmint guns

Mostly use a .22 but for backup I do have a few other options - favorite "toy" at the moment is the Tokarev. It has too much penetration, however, to use in close quarters (IOW in a barn with calves on the other side of the wall, or anywhere too close to my own critters)
lau.gif
(did a cool number on putting some holes in the new burn barrel, however - in one side and straight out the other.)

The .22 usually does the job for anything that bothers the critters, though.

meri

I would use my favorite S&W 422T .22 target pistol but I don't get the opportunity as most predators run when they see my ex-husband's rocky mountain oysters hangin out by the fence.
tongue2.gif

(Just kidding)

Quote:
I have Judge too. It can pack a wallup and is designed to fit big hands and smaller women's hands. When I was pistol shopping, DH liked the bigger grip pistols. My finger barely reached the trigger on those. However, the handle on the Judge is angled in such a way that it's comfortable for a wide range of hand sizes. DH has huge hands and I have regular women's size hands, and we both can grip it comfortably. And it's really cool that you can load it with 410 shells or 45 rounds.

6382_p9140439.jpg

ETA: I did kill a varmit in the coop yesterday without the use of a firearm. It was a mouse, and I whacked it with a broom.

Last edited:
Mojo Chick'n :

Mostly use a .22 but for backup I do have a few other options - favorite "toy" at the moment is the Tokarev. It has too much penetration, however, to use in close quarters (IOW in a barn with calves on the other side of the wall, or anywhere too close to my own critters)
lau.gif
(did a cool number on putting some holes in the new burn barrel, however - in one side and straight out the other.)

The .22 usually does the job for anything that bothers the critters, though.

meri

Don't you wish some one would produce a modern gun for the

7.62x25 !!??​

I got my NEF 17HMR for dealing with an overpopulated rabbit problem. Rabbits would gridle fruit trees and all landscape plants every winter. 17HMR is deadly accurate over 150 yards on a calm day and more if you get good with it. I can not miss anything with in 100 yards and all head shots. One problem is that you get a good rifle crack from the speed of the bullet. But no one cares where I live. I love that gun
love.gif
. I have read that it can be used on varmits as big as a coyote but the shot has to be just right.

I use my Gamo Big Cat pettet gun for dispatching raccons that I catch in live traps. Ammo is much cheeper.
big_smile.png
I will also use my Gamo for rabbits when they with in 30 yards of the house. The petter gun is claimed to be as deadly as a .22 up to 35 yards. When I use the hyper velosity rounds I can sometime get the rifle crack from the speed of the pellet.

Quote:
Dont know how real world that was. I like the tests but the assumptions I think were off. The fact is that anything smaller than a 38 or 9MM does not have real stopping power. They will kill but not stop. An snake/rat shot is just that, for snakes an rats. But even a skilled marksman has a hard time getting a shot on target when they are called to. Many shootouts in history ended with nether person hit. Being hit by any gun will stop most people. If being hit by a 38 shot shell didn't stop them then most likely a slug from anything smaller than a 40 would not have ether.

Rules of a gun fight.
1. Bring a gun. (If your gun is to big you will at some point fail rule 1)
2. Hit your target. (If it takes shot shells to do it then use them)
3. Repeat rule 2 till target stops.
4. remember this quote "I was afraid for my life. I did not want to kill anyone, I just wanted him to stop."

People with "The judge" How many rounds have you put threw it an how is it holding up? Also is the shorter shell one ok or is the longer one a have to? !!!!Stuffing the piggy bank as fast as I can!!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Don't you wish some one would produce a modern gun for the

7.62x25 !!??

Yep, ammo is much cheaper for the tokarev than the makarov. I like my Mak, but hate to spend so much on ammo for it. Too bad it didn't take the Tok ammo
big_smile.png

meri

Quote:
I have had mine less than a year, so I haven't put that many rounds through it. I have the shorter one, but only because i couldn't find the longer one at the gun shows until after I bought mine. I kinda like the longer one better, but the shorter one is more than adequate.

Back
Top Bottom