Vegans of BYC!!

Pics
I have a few young hens actually, that need a good home. I just can't keep them where I am any longer, the neglected chickens next door are just too much. (Long story!) I'm in Oregon, if there are any interested folks! ☺️
I’ve actually been corresponding with someone who has hens who don’t lay. They’re not in a shelter, though. I found her on Craigslist. Perhaps you can try that. Best of luck!

I'm a bit out of it, still (covid, blugh)
But I had to come to this thread and show off my latest interest:

Iced coffee!!
Id never tried one before, honestly, and I just had a fancy to try making it, and my goodness yum!
I used coconut milk for the first one which was super creamy and nice, but I used almond milk in the more recent one, which mixed far better.
I also used a vegan caramel sauce I found in a store!
Super yummy! I'm obsessed!

Attachments

• 20220925_125054.jpg
    20220925_125054.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220925_161612.jpg
    20220925_161612.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 2
I'm 97% veggie. I crave meat about once a week and then it's usually one bite and I don't enjoy it, hubby gets the rest. I do eat the eggs my layer hens lay, but not the Serama eggs. I don't eat chicken at all. It's my aim to just garden my way out of the supermarket. Hubby is a full on carnivore so usually the weekly meat shop is all his. It smells great but I can't tolerate it or enjoy the taste. I do have Long Covid and lots of tastes changed for me and some no longer exist at all. Always love veggies though. Been on a bit of a fruit kick, and of course hot sauce on everything so that I can actually taste it. :) Hot sauce on grilled pineapple slices is to die for, by the way.

I'm 97% veggie. I crave meat about once a week and then it's usually one bite and I don't enjoy it, hubby gets the rest. I do eat the eggs my layer hens lay, but not the Serama eggs. I don't eat chicken at all. It's my aim to just garden my way out of the supermarket. Hubby is a full on carnivore so usually the weekly meat shop is all his. It smells great but I can't tolerate it or enjoy the taste. I do have Long Covid and lots of tastes changed for me and some no longer exist at all. Always love veggies though. Been on a bit of a fruit kick, and of course hot sauce on everything so that I can actually taste it. :) Hot sauce on grilled pineapple slices is to die for, by the way.
I sympathise on the covid note. I am only on day... 10 or so? Of having it?
But I'm currently still having to add 3 cloves of garlic, multiple chillies, tons of sugar, to everything I eat so that I can get some taste out of it. Sure hope I regain the ability to properly enjoy food, soon 😕

I haven't tried hot sauce on pineapple! I want this now! I've only tried ketchup on pineapple frittas, which is tasty, but hot sauce on grilled pineapple sounds way better!

Much as I like hot sauce, I'm not sure I'm game for putting it on pineapple.

Back to the iced coffee, @BelovedBirds. Commercial iced coffee was one of the last things I gave up when I started eating vegan. I started every day with a glass or two, once in a while, three. Although some companies make a vegan version, none of the local groceries offered any.

I keep meaning to make my own, but I haven't yet. Although I do enjoy an almond milk creamer in my hot morning coffee. Like you, I found it preferable to coconut milk creamer in coffee.

Much as I like hot sauce, I'm not sure I'm game for putting it on pineapple.

Back to the iced coffee, @BelovedBirds. Commercial iced coffee was one of the last things I gave up when I started eating vegan. I started every day with a glass or two, once in a while, three. Although some companies make a vegan version, none of the local groceries offered any.

I keep meaning to make my own, but I haven't yet. Although I do enjoy an almond milk creamer in my hot morning coffee. Like you, I found it preferable to coconut milk creamer in coffee.
You gotta try new things! Hehe. Honestly I was scared to try ketchup with pineapple, but once I tried it, I never stopped doing it!

I made the iced coffee really simple, normal coffee made cold, lots of ice, caramel, and plant based milk! I'm excited to experiment with it.
I'd really like to try oat milk next, apparently thats good in coffee.
Its a shame you cant buy it vegan in grocery stores! Would certainly save time in the morning.

Last edited:
I sympathise on the covid note. I am only on day... 10 or so? Of having it?
But I'm currently still having to add 3 cloves of garlic, multiple chillies, tons of sugar, to everything I eat so that I can get some taste out of it. Sure hope I regain the ability to properly enjoy food, soon 😕

I haven't tried hot sauce on pineapple! I want this now! I've only tried ketchup on pineapple frittas, which is tasty, but hot sauce on grilled pineapple sounds way better!
I used to work in a long term care home for traumatic brain injured folks, so I've had it three times in fairly quick succession. You have to let me know what you think of the pineapple, slice it thick!

I tried making a vegan duck style meal yesterday, which freaks me out a bit because... well, even when I ate meat, I never ate duck, ever. And now I have and very much love my ducks, so trying a duck style vegan meat felt so weird. It was like someone saying "hey, wanna try this vegan dog burger!"

Anyway, I got over myself and went ahead and tried it, and it turned out SO good!!!!
I blended up chickpeas, flour, tahini, beetroot, salt, and water until it formed a thick paste, then I added more flour to form a slightly sticky dough.

Then I sliced it into burger type shapes, and then sliced it lightly on both sides to get a good texture. Then I boiled the thick slices in soy sauce and water for about 15 minutes. Then I took them out, covered in corn starch, and fried lightly until golden...

Then I made a mix of soy sauce, lime juice, diced garlic and chili, maple syrup, and a little of the cooking water. Then covered the slices in this sauce and let them simmer until it had thickened to a glaze.

Then I sliced them up and put them on a bowl of couscous. SO yummy! IMG-20221008-WA0013.jpeg
IMG-20221008-WA0017.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom