Vegetable garden/chicken run with Bantams?

KRudnicki

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2020
Poland
Hey all.
I want to fence two runs about 1722 square ft/160 M2 each with fenced 4x8 chicken coop and 215sq ft/20 m2 compost run.
In one year chickens will have first run. The second one will be a vegetable garden. One need just to simply rotate vegetables and chickens.
I know that standard feathered disonaurs will prepare a garden but what about Bantams? Will they eat all weeds like couch grass, docks and so on?
I want to till this pottery clay soil once, then let the chicken do the carnage, and then put a nice cover of woodchip blanket.
What do you guys think? Would Bantams in larger quantities would do the trick?

I have bantams, and standard fowl chickens. Don't expect as much soil turnover with the bantams... They are not as strong,, compared to standard chickens. But all is not lost. The bantams do provide the same fertilizer,, as other chickens.,, . Just in smaller amounts per chicken.
I suggest you go ahead and do your project. Then just till the soil well before planting. You may also benefit by planting a cover crop into the runs, (Both) It will provide natural source of nitrogen. Clover, and alfalfa, are 2 good choices.
You will never eradicate all weeds regardless how much you try. Chickens will eat certain ones,, and leave others behind.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

I have bantams, and standard fowl chickens. Don't expect as much soil turnover with the bantams... They are not as strong,, compared to standard chickens. But all is not lost. The bantams do provide the same fertilizer,, as other chickens.,, . Just in smaller amounts per chicken.
I suggest you go ahead and do your project. Then just till the soil well before planting. You may also benefit by planting a cover crop into the runs, (Both) It will provide natural source of nitrogen. Clover, and alfalfa, are 2 good choices.
You will never eradicate all weeds regardless how much you try. Chickens will eat certain ones,, and leave others behind.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Thank you for your response.
Well I'm into building soil up, so the main tiling I will do just once to break hardpan and add organic matter. Then I need chickens to fertilize, keep weeds at bay and turn over compost on top. I can put also tarp for some time before planting to smother weeds.
Cover crops are fantastic. I sow 7 different species, but mostly buckwheat and sorghum came.

Back
Top Bottom