1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vegetables at what age?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kaliki4, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Kaliki4

Kaliki4 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    I am new to chickens but so far am loving it. I have 4 white rock that are 2 months old and 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Australorp, and 1 RIR that are 2 weeks old. I have been hearing that I should not feed veggies to my chicks (the 2 month olds) until they are older. We have been giving them cauliflower, broccoli and carrots and they love it. We have also been giving them cracked corn. The all seem healthy but I was wondering if I should wait since I have heard this more than once. Can anyone tell me?

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    as long as they have access to grit and feed that are fine with treats... make sure they eat their feed as well as treats... but then again what did farmers do before commercial food was available

3. Kaliki4

Kaliki4 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    Ok...I think we are good. I chose to go with Sand on the bottom of the coop and that is where I give them their veggies.

4. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    I've never heard anything like that. We feed our chickens (of all ages) vegetable scraps. They are very healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by