Vegetarian Layer Feed vs normal layer feed

Probably not as much protein in the eggs.. from vegetarian eggs..
Chickens are not vegetarians. . They eat bugs mice.ect.. don't make sense buying feed there not naturally a custom too...

I agree with Rod, chickens are omnivores but dominantly carnivores.

Whenever I see those cartons it makes me think of some weird experiment where the soylent green people got together and decided to make a "vegan" chicken or something like that. I'm sure it's possible, but fairly forced since they don't have a choice.

The taste is probably the same since they are store bought, but the concept in my mind is pretty effed up.

I agree with Rod, chickens are omnivores but dominantly carnivores.

but if you are feeding your chickens too much meat based foods.. i don't think you can use their manure in composting for your garden right?

livestock manure is ideal for composting since their food are mainly plant based..

meat eaters' feces is not ideal for composting + sanitary

bugs/insects are something else.. but feeding meats-- pork, beef, etc.. to your chickens..

honestly, i've never thought of it before...

but if you are feeding your chickens too much meat based foods.. i don't think you can use their manure in composting for your garden right?

livestock manure is ideal for composting since their food are mainly plant based..

bugs/insects are something else.. but feeding meats-- pork, beef, etc.. to your chickens.. 

Manure Is Manure. .it all works

If composted correctly, the pathogens and parasites are killed off in the process and the end result is the same as using plant based manure. This is for hot composting, cold composting won't kill off anything.

If composted correctly, the pathogens and parasites are killed off in the process and the end result is the same as using plant based manure. This is for hot composting, cold composting won't kill off anything.

we don't use humans' and pets' waste for composting/gardening in the US (that i know of)

i know they do use humans' waste in gardening in various countries in asia..

maybe a small amount of meat is ok..

we don't use humans' and pets' waste for composting/gardening in the US (that i know of)

i know they do use humans' waste in gardening in various countries in asia..

maybe a small amount of meat is ok..

In tacoma the waste department pellet it...give locals 2 bags a year free for there lawns... and they sell the sewage pellets as organic option.. not sure how they can say organic. . Farmers can even buy it cheap in 1 ton totes

Chickens love meat. I often harvest potential chicken predators, remove their pelts and let the chickens have the rest. A flock of 25 can reduce a coon or coyote carcass into just a skeleton in a few days. The eggs are delicious, and the yolks are nice and orange. You will never see healthier and shinier feathers than on chickens that get animal based protein and fat in their diets. Bugs work in the summer, but when they weather cools down enough for meat to not spoil quickly and to make bugs go dormant, I make sure mine have it available. If they are not getting meat protein, that means they are getting lots of soy. Soy protein is just not the same as animal protein. Chickens were made to scavenge tiger kills and eat jungle bugs. I think vegetarian chicken feed would be borderline cruelty. They just aren't getting the nutrition they need.

Back
Top Bottom