1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by yankeedoodle300, Oct 18, 2011.

1. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Maybe that one particular container of yogurt you purchased was from a bad batch or it had spoiled. I would give it another try and try different brand --as far as adding a fruit taste to it- I generally use something like Polaner All Fruit(-the jelly that is only sweetened with fruit juice) , they have lots of different flovors, or sometimes I just use honey and a mashed up banana.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

You may be right. I"ll give it another go ahead and see what happens. :fl

3. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have another question for the vegetarians. I love meat sandwiches, so I am wondering what do you all eat in place of a meat sandwich? What's your substitution?

4. lorain's fids

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    There are many vegetarian lunch meats out there, The one I like is "Smart Deli" the bologna style. If you were to ask me if it tastes like real lunch meat--I really wouldn't really know anymore- I've been a vegetarian for over 10 years, so I don't know what the "real" stuff tastes like anymore.They are sold in either the produce section or the dairy section of the supermarket

5. lorain's fids

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Good idea to try it again. If you do use the banana and honey for flavoring just make sure to mash up the banana good ( don't use slices)

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I know exactly what you're talking about (Smart Deli). I have seen that in the stores. I may buy some and try it. Thanks for your reply.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    There are lots of "Fake Lunch meats" you can choose from. I'm not a big fan of bread so I don't eat them often but so far all of the fake lunch meats have tasted okay. I sometimes use leftover veggie meat such as hamburger, chicken nuggets, riblets, etc on bread.

8. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    I have a question for all of you guys. In planning an event, is Risotto a good choice to make sure our veggie brethren are considered? We're working with a hotel that doesn't have a whole lot of choices. We're going to make sure the Risotto is made with vegetable broth.

9. lorain's fids

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Risotto wouldn't be a good choice if there is cheese in it. Even if the people aren't vegan there are many vegetarians who won't eat chees due to the fact that rennet is in many cheeses.

10. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Thanks! If we ask the hotel to leave out the cheese is it still edible, or would it be tasteless? This hotel is very low on choices [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by