Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. I'll probably have to tone down the spice for her, but she does like different flavors.

looking for a yummy desert...

something that i can make with eggs and also the same recipe without eggs... so that i can make both, one for a video for a vegetarian youtube friend.
but as i write this, i have another q., i am realising that when i hear about egg substitutes, it is most often yogurt.... it just occurred to me, yogurt IS dairy... so, it make me think once again that the basis for most vegetarianism is spiritual and not dietary... or wait, maybe it proves the reverse: conceding to needing some dairy in their diet. i have read in the past about all the various branches/disciplines (i used to run a community center, so i've "read the literature") but i would be very interested to know vegetarians personal views of the incredible edible egg and milk/yogurt. ESPECIALLY after having read the milk discussion.... btw here's how i weigh in on milk, personally i believe it is totally bizarro and unnatural (which is why it doesn't make sense to me that yogurt would be okay for a vegetarian) and also it is TOTALLY DELICIOUS! although, as i get older my body definitely does not crave or enjoy so much, as much. and my broad opinion on it, and the soy, etc... i think it depends upon "your peoples"(genetics).
and 'they' say the future for ALL peoples is bugs for protein source... they are neither animal or vegetable... now, i have ANOTHER q. ! lol ...are YOU okay with eating meal worms and more???

and of course my main reason for stopping by... if anyone has a delicious brownie or other chocolate recipes sans eggs, it would be greatly appreciated.

Just a note...bugs are as much animals as cows, birds, fish and sea food. If you won't eat clams, or oysters, bugs would definitely be off the menu. They are a more complex organism than bivalves. Personally, I don't think I could eat bugs or worms, just too much getting past the ick factor. I eat a mostly veggie diet for health reasons. I don't really have ethical/religious reasons for rejecting meat or dairy. For me, the ethical concerns aren't about plant vs. animal, but more about husbandry, water usage, gmo crops and ecological impact of how food was raised.

thanks for opinion momsfolly! what a pretty tea pot! no veg friendly yummy recipe?
i thought some vegetarians eat bugs, along the lines of saying, they are something different than 'with a face'... i know some buddhists view 'animal'...and overall, i agree with you and them about the bugs ("animal+"life) although i talk to the plants more than i talk to the bugs! personally, i'd rather eat bugs over crab or shrimp! & clams are extra disgusting, but for some reason i once found them tasty. i wonder if bugs are/can be kosher.
i also agree about the husbandry and bio concerns... but i do (i suppose, obviously)ponder the spiritual realms... i was actually torn as to farming meal worms! but i figure, if i am going to buy them, i can give them a nicer interim life than the pet place freezer where we purchase them! i am a meat eater (try as i might) my body craves meat, but i thought keeping chickens would turn me off eating poultry.... but instead i have been thinking, maybe i should start keeping meat birds...since i know i can provide them a nice existence (i confess my six ladies look, and some of them smell, delicious).
i apologise if this is not the place to be talking about meat eating, but i really appreciate any viewpoints... and yummy chocolate veg recipes :)

Hmm. Vegans drink it all the time and don't get problems from it. One cup of unfortified soymilk contains almost 7 grams of protein, 4 grams of carbohydrate, 4½ grams of fat, and no cholesterol. It also supplies some B vitamins. It also lowers the risk for heart disease. Soy naturally contains isoflavones. When I was vegan, my doctor actually recommend it.

Hi Silkiemomma9!

We're vegans with chickens too. "So, you don't eat meat, fish, eggs, milk...Wait don't you have chickens"? Too funny. I have vegan children, but only two of them. They're amazing kids. Very healthy, but so kind as well. Thanks for the website. I'm always looking online for new recipes.

As for the chocolate recipes...I think you can sub prune paste for eggs if you have other fats. It has the emulsifying power of the eggs. There is also a great cookie that is made with one box of devil's food cake mix and a can of pumpkin puree. It tastes like chocolate, with no weird pumpkiny flavor. I think with some tweaking, it could make a brownie recipe.

I'll check my recipes and see what I can find. You might check out some websites for people who are allergic to eggs.

Last edited:
This Black Bean Brownie was a hit at our vegetarian (we do have some vegan dishes as well) meeting this month. Our secretary mails out the recipes for everything everyone brings.
BlackBeanBrownies:
1/2 cup organic canned black beans (rinsed & drained)
1/4 cup strong black coffee
1/2 cup unsalted butter (earth balance/vegan)
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate
4 large organic eggs (pumpkin/egg replacer-vegan)
1 1/4 cup organic sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup unbleached flour
1. Preheat oven to 350o. Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with parchment paper. In a blender or food processor, blend beans and coffee until mixed well. Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler. In a bowl, beat eggs and sugar until fluffy. Add bean mixture, vanilla, salt, chocolate and mix well. Then combine flour. Spread into baking pan and bake for 25 - 30 minutes.
2. Test with a toothpick for doneness. Cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes, then remove brownies from pan and cool. Top with frosting, powdered sugar and/or nuts. You can also frost the brownies with a handful of melted Hershey’s semisweet chips.

As for egg replacers I use applesauce (1tablespoon per egg) for most of the replacing, but u can't use it for brownies :) I use pumpkin (1 1/2 tsp per egg). For days when I don't have apples or pumpkin available I will use the store bought egg replacer, Ener-G. It has lasted me almost two years, because I rarely use it;)
I had a great choco cake recipe that someone gave me, but can't find it now! Ugh
Now this following recipe has been a HUGE HIT, for those new to veggie/vegan eating and there is never a drop left. Steve has also been vegan for awhile and has mastered making any 'meat' dish taste delish!!!

Boneless Bar-B-Q “Ribs” (Vegan)
by Steve Wells
Sietan Loaf for making ribs:
Dry Ingredients:
• 10 oz. Vital Wheat Gluten • 1 teaspoon onion flakes
• 1 teaspoon garlic granules • 1/3 cup Nutritional Yeast Wet Ingredients:
• 1 and 3/4 cups water
• 4 tablespoons Tamari
Mix dry ingredients thoroughly, mix wet ingredients, and then mix both together forming a loaf. Brown loaf thoroughly in 3 tablespoons of Canola Oil in a fry pan. Put aside.
Broth for seasoning ribs:
• 8cupsofwater
• 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
• 3 tablespoons Tamari
• 3/4 cup of ketchup
• 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon onion powder
• 1 tablespoon garlic powder
• 3 large bay leafs
• 1 teaspoon thyme
• 1 teaspoon liquid hickory smoke flavor
1. Bring broth to a boil, then reduce to a slight simmer and add loaf. Cook uncovered for 2 hours. After time is up remove loaf from broth and let sit on a draining plate for 2 hours to cool.
2. Cut loaf into 1/4 inch slices, then halve lengthwise. Add favorite Bar-B-Q sauce to a large ziplock baggie, add cut sietan loaf “Riblets” , shake thoroughly and put into refrigerator for 24 hours.
3. Pre-heat oven broiler. Place “Riblets” on a baking pan under broiler until slightly brown, then flip and slightly brown other side. Baste with Bar-b-q sauce and place on a serving platter.

I'm searching for the cake & any other choco recipes I have & will post when I find them:)
I use my eggs for the dogs & many of my feral cat colonies.
People also think I'm crazy because I don't eat the chickens or eggs, but no, I never could enjoy an egg. Way to early on I knew they were periods and it freaked me out (Thank You Mom!) so it wasn't hard to not eat them as a veggie kid. Though I'm sure they were in many of the meals I had.
Hope everyone has a great day!

Back
Top Bottom