Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

Not really a recipe but I make hummus in the following way and the family like it. One tin of chick peas that is about 400g, a tablespoon of tahini paste, that is the paste made with sesame seeds, a clove or two of garlic, salt and pepper, according to your taste and put it into a food processor, whiz it together and add enough olive oil to make it the right consistency. I know measurements are a bit vague but as long as you include these ingredients, the balance of taste and consistency is personal preference.

Here it is...

Out of this World Vegan Hummus

2 cans garbanzo beans/chickpeas (same thing)
handful of cilantro
juice of 2 lemons
cayenne pepper (to taste)
garlic cloves (as many as you want!)
water
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 a jalapeno pepper (optional, but tastes good)

Add all ingredients except olive oil in the food processor.
Pulse till its smooth and slowly add olive oil.

Hope you enjoy! My family does! :D
~Rezia

I have a few raw hummus recipes. They all use raw tahini, which is difficult to find and can be kind of bitter tasting. So if you aren't a raw vegan use regular or light roast tahini. Enjoy! Paula
big_smile.png

Chickpea Hummus
1 cup of soaked and sprouted chickpeas (if you are not following a raw food plan
just use regular cooked or canned chickpeas)
2 lemons juiced (about 1/2 cup juice)
3 Tbsp tahini
3 Tbs olive oil
2 cloves garlic
salt to taste
food process all ingredients until smooth. Add paprika, red pepper, olives, or soaked sun-dried tomatoes

No Bean Hummus
1/4 cup olive oil
2 zucchini, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 1/4 tsp paprika
5 - 10 cloves garlic
3/4 cup tahini
3/4 cup raw sesame seeds (soaked for 2 hours and drained)
food processor first 5 ingredients and blend until smooth, then add sesame seeds and tahini and continue to process.

Zucchini Hummus recipe #2
5 cups of zucchini, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup of tahini
3-4 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup of lemon juice
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/2 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 1/2 tsp sea salt.
Food process until smooth. You can add 1 cup of cashews to this recipe to thicken it a little, just increase the spices a bit. This makes a large bowl of hummus. You may want to cut recipe in half if you are just making it for a couple of people.

Hi Fowlsessed,
Just responding to your comment on Agave. It is controversial, so although I have it on hand, I have stopped using it. I eat a raw diet, so primarily use either raw honey or my favorite sweetener which is maple syrup. The maple syrup is boiled, so not really raw, but I get it locally so I feel like it is better than some of the foods I could be eating that travel from away. In cooking and food processing many raw recipes, dates are used as a primary sweetener, and you might want to give them a try. Medjool dates are usually what recipes call for because they are soft and moist and have a caramel type texture, but soaking and draining drier dates for 30 minutes prior to using them can be a cheaper alternative.
:) Paula

Not really a recipe but I make hummus in the following way and the family like it. One tin of chick peas that is about 400g, a tablespoon of tahini paste, that is the paste made with sesame seeds, a clove or two of garlic, salt and pepper, according to your taste and put it into a food processor, whiz it together and add enough olive oil to make it the right consistency. I know measurements are a bit vague but as long as you include these ingredients, the balance of taste and consistency is personal preference.

Here it is...

Out of this World Vegan Hummus

2 cans garbanzo beans/chickpeas (same thing)
handful of cilantro
juice of 2 lemons
cayenne pepper (to taste)
garlic cloves (as many as you want!)
water
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 a jalapeno pepper (optional, but tastes good)

Add all ingredients except olive oil in the food processor.
Pulse till its smooth and slowly add olive oil.

Hope you enjoy! My family does! :D
~Rezia

I have a few raw hummus recipes. They all use raw tahini, which is difficult to find and can be kind of bitter tasting. So if you aren't a raw vegan use regular or light roast tahini. Enjoy! Paula
big_smile.png

Chickpea Hummus
1 cup of soaked and sprouted chickpeas (if you are not following a raw food plan
just use regular cooked or canned chickpeas)
2 lemons juiced (about 1/2 cup juice)
3 Tbsp tahini
3 Tbs olive oil
2 cloves garlic
salt to taste
food process all ingredients until smooth. Add paprika, red pepper, olives, or soaked sun-dried tomatoes

No Bean Hummus
1/4 cup olive oil
2 zucchini, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 1/4 tsp paprika
5 - 10 cloves garlic
3/4 cup tahini
3/4 cup raw sesame seeds (soaked for 2 hours and drained)
food processor first 5 ingredients and blend until smooth, then add sesame seeds and tahini and continue to process.

Zucchini Hummus recipe #2
5 cups of zucchini, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup of tahini
3-4 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup of lemon juice
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/2 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 1/2 tsp sea salt.
Food process until smooth. You can add 1 cup of cashews to this recipe to thicken it a little, just increase the spices a bit. This makes a large bowl of hummus. You may want to cut recipe in half if you are just making it for a couple of people.
Thanks a ton! I'm sending these to my email pronto, so I don't lose them or have to search this thread. Thanks a ton! You guys are awesome!
bun.gif

Last edited:
After sending these recipes, I started some chickpeas sprouting to make some raw hummus. I'm psyched - another day or 2 and Yum. . . of course if I get desperate in the meantime, I'll just make a little bit of the zucchini based one to hold me over. LOL
Paula

Hi folks,
How's the vegan/vegetarian thing going for those of you who are new to this lifestyle? One of the best tips I have found for dealing with family, co-workers or friends is to always bring something yummy to share at gatherings. I am now "famous" with family and friends for my fruit salads and veggie salads and when I'm invited, people ask if I'm going to bring them.

When I bring a mixed vegetable salad, I always bring additional things for folks to add in if they want to (like a jar of mixed seeds/nuts, or diced jicama, special olives, sundried tomatoes, sugar snap peas sliced on the diagonal or a vegan "parmesan sprinkle cheese" made with 1 clove of garlic, 1/4 cup of cashews, a pinch of sea salt and some nutritional year for a cheesier taste). They get an opportunity to try something that they normally wouldn't have in their salad and find that it tastes pretty good. I also frequently bring homemade salsa, hummus and/or guacamole with cut up veggies, which is familiar to people and they can always put it on the chips that are around at the party. I find that if I don't make a big deal about what I'm eating and just put what feels like the right food for me on my plate it goes fine. Of course, when I brought a small bowl of raw cauliflower faux mashed potatoes to thanksgiving, the family kind of looked at me funny. A couple of my sister-in-laws were good natured and took a 1/2 tsp to taste. They were like "hmmm. . .this is a little different. . ."

I am gluten-free as well, so that always adds an additional wrinkle to it. If it's a holiday or celebration where I think I might not be able to eat any of the sweets (think family birthdays with boxed cake mix and ice cream), I might bring a plate of dates stuffed with walnuts or a vegan gluten-free dessert. That way, I can pass on whatever and still eat a sweet without feeling "deprived".

Keep working at it. There are challenges, but hopefully, you'll feel better physically; and as you start to "shine" from the inside out, folks will think you are doing what's right for you.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom