Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

I am a semi vegetarian meaning I am mostly vegetarian except when my family is here. I was a vegetarian for 10 years at one time. I couldn't be a vegan because I eat my eggs. Also, have Celiacs so no wheat and no meat make t difficult to eat in some places. Eliminating dairy would be a real burden on top of the other two.
No offense, but it is kind of a real burden on the cows.

Hi Free Feather,
I just got your personal message and it took a while for me to log on. I'm working today, finishing and going hiking all the while taking care of a critically ill cat (she's doing better today). My rescue hens have all been adopted. I'm not set up for winter care of hens, but who knows, maybe I will rescue more in the spring. I'm so glad to see more people embracing veganism and reducing their consumption of meat and eggs for health, environment or ethical reasons. It brings a bit of joy and hope to my heart. I'm also looking forward to more Veggs in the marketplace. If they can produce pea protein-based Vegg cheaper than eggs, then the chickens will have a major victory. Did you see Free Bird around Thanksgiving 2013? It was sooo good. Very nice message. BTW, I'm in Canada.
I really want battery hens, but my mother says no. She is afraid of disease. I take in everyone else's unwanted birds. I have a few from a hatchery, from the feed store, that I got before I knew about hatcheries. What is Free Bird? I do not watch television except for the occasional animal rights movie at my friend's house.
I am not a vegan because I eat the hens at my house's eggs. I feed most eggs to the chickens and the other animals. I keep quite a few roosters, too. It infuriates me when I see how most people feel about them, like they are annoying objects to gas at birth or slaughter at a few months old. They show any kind of "aggression", and people lop their heads off.

Free Birds is an animated movie that came out a couple years ago. Here's the official trailer on IMDB (internet movie database):
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1924507929
Other than a few bird mites, my ex-batts were quite healthy. I powdered them with DE from time to time. I figure they pick up bird mites from the environment anyways, but it might be more prolific in intensive factory settings.
Like you, I fed some of my eggs back to the hens. The rest, I gave away to people who would otherwise buy factory farmed eggs.
I'm impressed you have roosters. I live in the City, so it definitely is not an option. I'm so glad you enjoy them, and take care of them, and rescue the birds that you can. Every life matters.

Papa Egg End and I are both vegetarian... its exhausting explaining to people all the time that we have the girls as companions first and egg layers second (and that they will comfortably live out their lives here with us laying or not)

Nice to see there is a thread here for veggies. My husband and I are both long term vegans (10+ years) and we just bought our first farm property. We are new to animals, but have been fostering farm animals to learn more. We had a couple farm piglets over the summer rescued from a heritage farm slaughter demonstration (who are now at a sanctuary) and we currently have two baby goat rescues. I'd love to connect with others who have farm animals as pets or as rescues (not for production purposes).

I just followed you over here from your other post, long time animal keeper and vegetarian married to a hunting man. My brother and his family are vegans. I love cheese, and use my eggs, I also grew up on a dairy farm and we owned one for a few years, now I just keep critters because I enjoy them on our 40 acre hobby farm.

Nice to see there is a thread here for veggies. My husband and I are both long term vegans (10+ years) and we just bought our first farm property. We are new to animals, but have been fostering farm animals to learn more. We had a couple farm piglets over the summer rescued from a heritage farm slaughter demonstration (who are now at a sanctuary) and we currently have two baby goat rescues. I'd love to connect with others who have farm animals as pets or as rescues (not for production purposes).
Awesome!! I hope to have a sanctuary one day, but for now I live with my definitely-not-vegan family (Farm pigs, 4-H and FFA). My chickens are off limits to them for sure, and I take in roosters and old hens slotted for the pot when I can. I have been veg for a little over two years now. What made you become vegan?

That's amazing that you were able to become vegan despite your family raising farm animals for food. I hope your family is at least supportive of your choices--but that still must be so difficult. I became vegan first for health reasons and then later ethical reasons. I also have certain spiritual and religious views that influence how I view life and animals.

I just followed you over here from your other post, long time animal keeper and vegetarian married to a hunting man. My brother and his family are vegans. I love cheese, and use my eggs, I also grew up on a dairy farm and we owned one for a few years, now I just keep critters because I enjoy them on our 40 acre hobby farm.
How does that work... your husband hunting while you are a vegetarian? Just curious.

Back
Top Bottom