Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

Quote:
I didn't want to go into all the reasons because it's a rather long debate. But basically it all goes down to your gut flora - "Your gut is the way to your health." Gut flora is all the living organisms in your intestines they are beneficial to your well-being. When you eat carbohydrates and sugars they multiply your bad 'gut flora' and it doesn't go well. Without realizing it, many people have really unhealthy intestines. It's almost ten at night in CA, I don't feel like doing a really, really long post about eating right. It get's me frustrated how people eat, and I don't want to fight. I can direct you to an excellently written book, the results in my seemingly healthy body were tremendous. For once, I felt well, not sick, perfectly well. It boils down for me, excuse me if this is rather blunt: God gave us beneficial things to eat on the earth. Some of those things are animals. Our ancestors diets were a lot healthier than 21st century diets. They included mostly meats and fish; don't you think, perhaps, that if they were vegetarians that they would have had the knowledge we do to get the 'perfectly balanced' vegetables and fruit to make up for one serving of meat?
Do your homework. Saturated fats are important - which is exactly what most people detest, if they are so 'bad', then why aren't us humans dead? Our ancestors lived mostly off of saturated fats, if they are so 'bad' as the diet dictocrats say, then why aren't heart attacks decreasing? Why are suddenly so more people sick and dying in the hospitals? Trans-fats. As I said before, this is my blunt opinion. I wish not to start a fight, so if you don't agree please don't answer. If any fighty reply is given I will not reply - take no offense. This is a chicken forum after all.
wink.png

I'm not talking about any of that stuff, and I'm not trying to tell you what to eat or that you're wrong - that's personal and I'm not preaching.

The only point I wanted to make was that a person can get everything they need nutritionally, easily, from a varied vegetarian diet. That's all. I just can't stand when people say that they 'won't get enough protein' or something. It's a very widely perpetuated myth and I do my part to change that. I don't care if people eat meat but I hate when I say I'm a vegetarian and people right away jump to nutrition and start telling me how I'm unhealthy and going to die from lack of protein. Meanwhile, I'm in good shape and feeling great while they are overweight...and they're giving me nutritional advice?

I do think that the idea of blaming all the sicknesses on trans-fat sounds a little hokey. Could I have some documentation on that? Not saying it isn't true, I'd like to read it.

I hope his made sense, I'm tired, but please know I'm not trying to be fighty.

Thanks for giving a civilized reply.
smile.png
Yes, I can certainly understand the frustration you feel when people jump on you and your diet. I'm sure that you eat a very healthy diet and are in great shape - but, like vegetarians, meat-eating people vary greatly in the way they respond to people who would rather not eat meat; some as you said, 'jump' on you and your way of life, while others couldn't care less, and still others have much to say on the topic but don't necessarily object to eating no-meat...it varies.
So because those ones jumped on you doesn't mean I'm trying to, and if I appeared that way I'm very sorry. I certainly didn't mean to come off like that. I respect you and your way of life.
Surely blaming all sicknesses on trans-fats does sound silly. That's because I was typing in a hurry and didn't really explain (I had to get to bed). Now, here's my documentation on were I'm coming from with the 'trans-fats' thing:
Trans-fats have a different chemical structure than saturated fats. That's a fact, on top of that, trans-fats are highly processed; oils you see every day are not necessarily 'trans-fats' yet, so they are advertised as 'No trans-fats!'. That's true, but what do you do with the oil? You cook it. The scorching temperatures on the pan, oven, whatever your cooking in, changes the chemical structure turning it into trans-fats. I hope that made sense; whether your a vegetarian or not you still get a large amount trans-fats.
In the past generation, trans-fats have been introduced to our society; causing a myriad of digestive issues. For trans-fats are very hard digest, hard on your gut; it's an extremely processed oil.
I'm not saying trans-fats are the cause of all our eating problems today, but they are certainly a big issue the public needs to counter. That's all I was saying. Here's a really good website: www.gapsdiet.com
Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride wrote the book Gut and Psychology Syndrome. Here's an excerpt:

Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride holds a degree in Medicine and Postgraduate degrees in both Neurology and Human Nutrition. In her clinic in Cambridge she specializes in nutrition for children and adults with behavioral and learning disabilities, and adults with digestive and immune system disorders.

Dr. Campbell-McBride set up The Cambridge Nutrition Clinic in 1998. As a parent of a child diagnosed with learning disabilities, she was acutely aware of the difficulties facing other parents like her, and she has devoted much of her time to helping these families. She realized that nutrition played a critical role in helping children and adults to overcome their disabilities, and has pioneered the use of probiotics in this field.

She believes that the link between learning disabilities, the food and drink that we take, and the condition of our digestive system is absolute, and the results of her work have supported her position on this subject. In her clinic, parents discuss all aspects of their child's condition, confident in the knowledge that they are not only talking to a professional but to a parent who has lived their experience. Her deep understanding of the challenges they face puts her advice in a class of its own.

She believes that the link between learning disabilities, the food and drink that we take, and the condition of our digestive system is absolute, and the results of her work have supported her position on this subject. In her clinic, parents discuss all aspects of their child's condition, confident in the knowledge that they are not only talking to a professional but to a parent who has lived their experience. Her deep understanding of the challenges they face puts her advice in a class of its own.

I wouldn't say it is absolute. For instance, I seem to have a verbal processing issue, which seems to happen in people like me, who had severe and constant ear infections through childhood during the language development age. I am however assuming that the ear infections are caused by non-dietary issues. That said, there is a lot of research being done recently on autism. I am in a state that has a very high rate of autism. Researchers are finding that chances for autism are highly increased when babies are not spaced out. Here is brief coverage on one such study:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/10/autism-risk-having-babies_1_n_806659.html
One possible reason or contributing factor may be depleted nutrients. With less nutritious diets and closer spaced births, that is certainly a factor I would seriously consider. That said, the topic is still very much up in the air.​

Quote:
I wouldn't say it is absolute. For instance, I seem to have a verbal processing issue, which seems to happen in people like me, who had severe and constant ear infections through childhood during the language development age. I am however assuming that the ear infections are caused by non-dietary issues. That said, there is a lot of research being done recently on autism. I am in a state that has a very high rate of autism. Researchers are finding that chances for autism are highly increased when babies are not spaced out. Here is brief coverage on one such study:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/10/autism-risk-having-babies_1_n_806659.html
One possible reason or contributing factor may be depleted nutrients. With less nutritious diets and closer spaced births, that is certainly a factor I would seriously consider. That said, the topic is still very much up in the air.

Yes, it's a very debatable topic.

Quote:
What class of vegetarian were you considering?

Sorry, didn't know that there were classes. So, I guess anyone who wants to post would be great. That makes it even better as far as learning the different classes. By the way, what are the different classes?
hide.gif

an average day for me:

breakfast:
sauteed mushroom, red bell pepper, and onion
scrabbled eggs
sharp cheddar cheese
all that wrapped up in a tortilla. I eat this, or some variation of this almost everyday. sometimes I add Louisiana Hot Sauce
droolin.gif

Lunch:
I don't always eat lunch, I usually just snack on things until I get the motivation to cook dinner
when I do have lunch it's usually something left over from dinner the night before:

pasta with alfredo and meatless meatballs, with extra parmesan
15 beans soup

Average Dinners:
lentils soup with wheat bread smeared with salted sweet cream butter or
premade cheese pizza with lots of veggies thrown on top for variety

good lord, I'm getting hungry now
tongue.png

Quote:
What class of vegetarian were you considering?

Sorry, didn't know that there were classes. So, I guess anyone who wants to post would be great. That makes it even better as far as learning the different classes. By the way, what are the different classes?
hide.gif

lacto-ovo-vegetarians- Eats no meat but does eat eggs and dairy products
Lacto Vegetarian- Eat dairy but not eggs
Vegan- No animal by products
Ovo Vegetarian- Eats eggs but not dairy

Quote:
Today was wheat blueberry pancakes for breakfast with pom juice
Snack of cucumber sticks
Lunch- feta cheese Alfredo with broccoli
Snack of baby carrots
Roasted butternut squash soup with spinach

Yesterday