Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

Ok, I finally stopped by one of the local chinese resturaunts in our city that sells tofu. So, I walk in and grab a menu and look for tofu. I look at the entire menu and I don't see tofu. So, I ask the cashier if they sell tofu and she says, "Yes". So, I ask here is it on the menu and she says, "Yes". So, I look at the menu again. I still don't see tofu. So, I ask the lady again if tofu is on the menu and again she says, "Yes". I explained to her that I didn't see tofu on the menu and asked her if she could help me find it. So she points to #75 and #77 on the menu.

#75 - Salt and Pepper Bean Curd
#77 - Buddhist Delight

Ok, so how was a newbie like myself supposed to know that. DUH!!!!! :smack Anyway, I asked her about both dishes and she explained that #75 has more tofu and less veggies and #77 had more veggies and less tofu. So, I decided to order #75. So, I waited about 30 minutes before my order was ready. I got my order and went home. I got home and this is what #75 looks like. (see pic below)

It was enough for 3 people. There was a lot of food. The price was only $7.00. Well, I got comfortable and fixed a little bit. I was a little hesitant at first because I don't like black pepper and the name of the tofu was salt and pepper. The first bite of tofu was great. I love the "crunchiness" (if that's a word) to it. I continued to eat more and as I ate it, I realized that it wasn't as great (but still good) as the golden fried tofu (with a special peanut sauce on the side) that I ordered at the Thai restaurant a few weeks. So, I ate a little more and I was full. So, I have 2 more servings left. I will eat some for lunch and finish the rest at dinner.

In the words of Marty1876
it take 9 times tasting something new (sometimes that much) before you get a "taste" for it.
So, I'm off to finding 7 more restaurants that serve tofu. :gig I think I'm going to enjoy this. :drool

Last edited:
I'm really hoping to try this recipe very soon:
  • 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 tablespoon dry sherry
  • About 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon salted fermented black beans, rinsed and chopped
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 tablespoon hot chili flakes
  • 14 to 16 ounces firm low-fat or regular tofu
  • 5 cups rinsed broccoli florets
Preparation

1. 1. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring rice and 3 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender to bite, about 20 minutes.
  2. 2. Meanwhile, in an 8- to 10-quart pan or a 14-inch wok, set a rack over at least 1 inch boiling water. Choose a shallow, rimmed pan about 8 inches wide that fits on the rack and can be lifted out (fashion a string harness, if needed).
  3. 3. In the shallow pan, combine vegetable broth, sherry, soy sauce, black beans, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, and chili flakes. Drain tofu on towels and cut into 1/2- by 1 1/2-inch pieces. Turn tofu over in seasonings in pan.
  4. 4. Cover pan with foil and set tofu pan on rack; cover larger pan. Steam on high heat until tofu is hot, about 10 minutes. Protecting hands, lift out tofu pan and rack. Keep tofu warm.
  5. 5. Add enough water to pan to make 1 inch deep and bring to a boil. Add broccoli, cover, and boil until just tender when pierced, 2 to 4 minutes. Drain.
  6. 6. Serve rice in bowls with tofu and juice, and broccoli. Add soy to taste.
I think I can make this. Easy enough for me. :drool When you try it Kev, let us know and post pics.

droolin.gif

The last brand of Almond Milk that I bought was Silk was ok once I added my local raw honey. So, if I had to chose any, I would go with Almond Milk over Coconut Milk. I eat the local raw honey for my allergies.
What is daiya cheese

The Silk brand Dark Chocolate almond milk is about the best chocolate milk I've had since going vegan 8 years ago. My son gulps it down too and according to the carton, it contains more calcium than regular milk. I would believe it because it is made from almonds, which are rich in calcium as well as other nutrients. I've grown accustomed to using Silk vanilla soy milk on my cereal and in my recipes, but it was definitely a taste I had to acquire. Coconut milk is a great substitute in most cases, but coconuts have a lot of extra fat, so I don't recommend using this all the time.

As for Daiya cheese substitute, I have to correct some of the other posters and say that it isn't "the most amazing cheese substitute" only because people who are used to cheese will be very disappointed. It is definitely the best vegan substitute out there right now because it actually melts down and doesn't get disgusting or greasy or taste like sand. I also have to warn first time users that it can be quite expensive, depending on where you get it from and it also doesn't last long once opened. Mine usually starts getting moldy within a week of opening the bag, so I suggest you get a couple of dishes ready to use it in so you don't lose any. I've thrown most of a bag away before because I didn't use it fast enough.

I hope this is helpful and not repetitive in any way, I haven't been on in a bit and I didn't have time to read all the most recent posts.

As for Daiya cheese substitute, I have to correct some of the other posters and say that it isn't "the most amazing cheese substitute" only because people who are used to cheese will be very disappointed. It is definitely the best vegan substitute out there right now because it actually melts down and doesn't get disgusting or greasy or taste like sand. I also have to warn first time users that it can be quite expensive, depending on where you get it from and it also doesn't last long once opened. Mine usually starts getting moldy within a week of opening the bag, so I suggest you get a couple of dishes ready to use it in so you don't lose any. I've thrown most of a bag away before because I didn't use it fast enough.

I agree - I do eat regular cheese now and then, and Daiya isn't it, however when melted it's pretty darn close. And yes, it's pretty much (IMO) the only sub that's edible, with the exception of the cashew cheese spread I made (which was great, but was more for crackers and the like). Nutritional yeast is also awesome for some things. But 'cheese'? Daiya is pretty much it. Without cooking, I gotta say, it's pretty yucky. I generally freeze mine or you are right, it goes bad quickly.

I'll have to see if we even have it around here. I do live in the middle of Kansas, surrounded by beef cattle. If you ask a farmer or rancher if he likes tofu, he'd ask "what kind of cow is that??"

Back
Top Bottom